Order of Operations

Bill_Moorman

Hi All!

After testing my water this morning, here are my parameters:

Total System water: 40 gallons (40b display and 10 gallon sump, assuming 10 gallons of displacement)

Salinity: 33ppm Apex (desired as is)

Nitrate: <1, Nyos, (desired 3ppm)

Phosphate: .00, Hanna (desired .01-.05 ppm)

Alk: 6.2, Hanna (desired 9 dKh)

Calc: 345, Red Sea (desired 450 ppm)

Mag: 1550, Red Sea (desired as is)

As such, I need to do some balancing with these numbers. My biggest concern is my nitrate and phosphate. I realize they are likely not truly 0 as I do have some nuisance algae in the system. I have NeoNitro, which I could use to raise those levels. However, what is more important: Getting the Alk and Calc to the appropriate levels first so the coral can use the nutrients to grow, or vice versa? Also, on the same note, the inhabitants only include 3 urchins, 7 snails, 2 skunk cleaner shrimp, and 2 clowns. Would it be better to feed more to raise nutrients, or use the NeoNitro?

Once I get the levels to where I want them, I will be dosing 2 part via Apex and BRS dosers.

Thanks in advance!

Today, I likely would raise the dKH to at least 7, maybe 8, and probably raise the calcium to at least 375 ppm or so. Those levels would give a bit of margin for measurement error, which is an issue with hobbyist equipment. Given the levels as they are, I think one dose of calcium would be fine, but I'd probably do the alkalinity dosing morning and evening, two doses. It's hard to predict the daily consumption rate, though.

For the levels that you want, I'd probably continue to dose 50 ppm per day of calcium, plus daily consumption.

Alkalinity is a bit harder. I'd probably try the two doses I recommended, and see how much is left of that addition the next morning, and work from there. Daily consumption plus 0.5 dKH probably is safe, but I'd want to know how much the alkalinity level drops in a day before judging that.

For the nutrients, your fish and I both think more fish food would be great. :) The cleaner shrimp agree, too. You can start this whenever you want, although I'd ramp up slowly.

Last edited:
Today, I likely would raise the dKH to at least 7, maybe 8, and probably raise the calcium to at least 375 ppm or so. Those levels would give a bit of margin for measurement error, which is an issue with hobbyist equipment. Given the levels as they are, I think one dose of calcium would be fine, but I'd probably do the alkalinity dosing morning and evening, two doses. It's hard to predict the daily consumption rate, though.

For the levels that you want, I'd probably continue to dose 50 ppm per day of calcium, plus daily consumption.

Alkalinity is a bit harder. I'd probably try the two doses I recommended, and see how much is left of that addition the next morning, and work from there. Daily consumption plus 0.5 dKH probably is safe, but I'd want to know how much the alkalinity level drops in a day before judging that.

For the nutrients, your fish and I both think more fish food would be great. :) The cleaner shrimp agree, too. You can start this whenever you want, although I'd ramp up slowly.

This is super helpful. I really appreciate your reply! I've also turned the lights to the fuge (small bit of chaeto that ran 11 hours opposite the display lights) off and turned my skimmer off. Any foreseeable issues with this? Intent is to help nutrients rise, get them to the levels I want, and then adjust skimming and photoperiod to control nutrient levels.

I would leave the skimmer on. It's a good safety net, and I don't think the situation is bad enough to warrant that drastic an action. Does the refugium get a bit of light? If so, it's probably fine.

Back