Ordered Red Sea Tests Online, Leak in Package

farfromsea

Hello everyone

So I ordered the Red Sea Algae Control Pro Test Kit from marineandreef.com
I received it and the box had a chemical stain on it. Opened it and there was purple liquid all over the inside of the container, stained the colormetric reference chart.

Called them and they kindly issued me a second test kit. This one was also leaking and at that point I just couldn't see the point in asking for another one.

My question is, does this happen regularly when you guys order test kits online? The test kits showed up in the middle of the terrible Texas summer so the only thing I can imagine is the heat caused the chemicals to leak from the bottle... I think that it was one of the acids because it caused the plastic lids of the vials to melt and my hands itched a little while trying to clean the test kits off.

Should I just not order test kits online and use the LFS?

I use Red Sea for some of my tests and at one point I did receive one that had leaked when I got it. Never really had an issue outside of that one. I'd probably just order it elsewhere if you've gotten two in a row that are bad.

Do the ones you order have labels for special handling? I was surprised it said nothing since some of the chemicals are corrosive or is this normal for the test kits?

No special labels from what I remember. Just came in the regular Red Sea boxes and in whatever other box/packing material. I usually order through Amazon, whether it's Amazon direct or a retailer selling off of Amazon.

Good to know thanks! I thought maybe no labels was a sign of lazy shipping by the supplier but sounds like it was par for the course and perhaps just bad luck. Will check out amazon next time.

Back