osmolator run dry

dwd5813

is there a safety feature that prevents the osmolator pump from restarting properly after being run dry? this morning on the way out i noticed that my top off tank had run low enough that the pump was running but not putting out any water. i didn't have time to deal with it so rather than let it run like that i unplugged the power cord from the controller.

when i got home this evening i filled up the top off tank and plugged back in. the controller alarmed for a second or two and then seemed to switch on the pump but it didn't move water. i tried unplugging and plugging back in to no avail. what did work was using a 5cc syringe plugged into the output tubing to draw air. was the problem just trapped air in the pump *seems so* or is there some other trick that might have worked?

If a fill is not registered within 10 minutes, the osmolator shuts down and that includes the pump, the too low light will come on at that point. The pump is not harmed by running dry for this duration.

When the pump is not submerged, it can get an airlock, the best way to remove the air lock is to tip the pump upside down under water while it is running.

Back