OT-Anyone here have a Mastiff

I'm with geo on the part of constantly working with large headstrong dogs. My dogs (American Bulldogs) aren't as big as Nooks and geo's dogs but they constantly test me to see what they can get away with. I don't have the dominance issues (issue is not the best term) but my female likes to take on livestock.

Ran into an issue with feeding fresh deer meat. The local hillbillies dump their carcasses in the woods and now they end up in my yard.

I'm sorry I don't know any mastiff breeders in the area.

geo you are right about the pups. The house will be condemned by the end of the week.

Female3119085.jpg

Female6119083.jpg

Female1119084.jpg

After doing a ton of research my wife and I think that the best dog for us would be a Newfoundland.

VERY VERY VERY good choice! Great dogs and very mild! I would look for a Landseer. IMHO. Great choice of a large dog and great temperament! I also have a few breeders names that do Pyrs and Newfs. JLMK

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11661492#post11661492 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by geoxman
MichelleL I will send a PM. I have a good source for organs and I can get them CHEAP-but frozen. I would like to hear about your formula.

Hi geoxman

Thanks for the offer...but, my Dane passed away in August. What a good boy he was and I miss him very much.

I am always up for a raw diet conversation though, so feel free to contact me!!

M.

Well a newfoundland it is. I am in Iowa tonight and Tomorrow AM I am picking up my new little girl. A 9 week little black furball. I will post pics tomorrow.

Still havent taken any, this one the breeder had of her a few weeks ago. Great puppy. We have started working onhouse training. Any tips? I am also feeding Royal Canine large breed puppy formula. Good-Bad?

I found a great breeder on the Iowa/Missouri border. She raises Newfoundlands, English Mastiffs, Great Danes, and Boxers. She had A ton of Mastiffs. Very hard to walk away from. Very good prices on all.

on house training you have to take the dog outside immediately when you see it going on the floor, some say not to scold for going potty inside, but I always did and my dogs are fine and learned quickly

also when you see the puppy start peeing, make a loud noise (like a clap) and startle them, then pick the puppy up and take it outside to finish

you have to take them out immediately when you see them start going, though, 2 minutes later = doesn't count, dog doesn't understand

and obviously praise the crap out of it when it goes outside

little puppies are hilarious, they live to please you, so when you reward them or get a happy voice it makes their day

I would crate train, that is how I have done all of mine. I do have a crate big enough if you want to borrow it. I also would not leave food and water out 24/7 and when she drinks or eats take her outside immediately and praise her with treats when she does do it outside.

Good luck with her.

Geoxman, thanks for the offer but I just went ahead and bought one the other day before we got her. I have been taking her outside lots and going the praise/treat route. It was funny the first time we put a leash on her. She had no clue what it was or what to do. Great puppy so far.

leashes and walking are hilarious at first

I should have also mentioned that I did the crate thing too, with both of our puppies

fkdenton,

Just listen to these guys on training. The other thing is be consistant. No backing down and letting the pup get away with something. They will always be testing you.

I feed my dogs Royal Canin, the plant is local and since last years dog food fiascal they have improved on their quality by leaps and bounds. It's a good quality kibble.

Back