Our new forum

Do you have access to Kaneohe Bay? It's been a while since I was stationed there, but there's some great snorkling off the beach there. You need to go out a bit though.

Marshall, as for other spots you might want to consider...Greece and Crete

If you take a boat from Agios Nikolaos (Ag Nikolaos or St. Nick's) to Spinalonga (or more properly, the Phoenician fortress at Frourio Spinalogkas), among other things you'll pass over is a city submerged by one of the many earthquakes in antiquity, possibly by one in 15 or 1600's that took out Thera. I understand the laws have shifted a bit in the past decade or so, and you should be able to freely snorkel in the area, just be sure not to pick up or remove anything from the site - those laws haven't changed, and are very strict.
I snorkeled off of Pseira, I believe, and it juts up out of the deep water Mediterranean, if you like snorkeling alongside a cliff face in water a couple hundred or so feet deep - with visibility likewise. Closest I've ever been to flying outside of an aircraft, and a pretty strange feeling when the bottom disappears on the way back to the boat..heh! This link provides some info on why I so thoroughly enjoyed my three day breaks from shift at Iraklion AS:
http://archive.archaeology.org/1001/etc/minoan_shipwreck.html
If you want to walk through history, and even snorkel through it, this is definitely the place to go. You can access the island via Souda Bay Naval Support Activity (my last overseas tour before retiring...), but PAX/Space-A flights tend to be pretty full and not easy to find.
Many more spots off of mainland Greece, including a spot in Volos on the East coast near a village called Ag. Ioannis (St. John), near Volos. Beautiful snorkeling, had one of the last remaining Med. seal populations in the region, great fishing. I brought home an octopus from there for my aquarium in Athens. Caught and released a gorgeous SeaHorse (released after showing it to the Taverna owner and his family...used a ziplock bag snorkeling to bring back interesting critters).
Hmm...so much for a "quick reply"...sorry for the book!

Above all, enjoy!

Hey everyone! I am stationed at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA, I am currently deployed. My wife is taking good care of the tank while I am away. Nothing like troubleshooting your tank from 6,000+ miles away :)

Do you have access to Kaneohe Bay? It's been a while since I was stationed there, but there's some great snorkling off the beach there. You need to go out a bit though.

That looks like an awesome spot, seems like a ways out though. How is the best way to get out there, looks to far to swim.

West coast side of Oahu. Nice diving and snorkeling spot. I dove this area a dozen times.

Kahe Point Beach Park

Is that right across the road from that power plant? I heard that spot was good as well.

Marshall, as for other spots you might want to consider...Greece and Crete

If you take a boat from Agios Nikolaos (Ag Nikolaos or St. Nick's) to Spinalonga (or more properly, the Phoenician fortress at Frourio Spinalogkas), among other things you'll pass over is a city submerged by one of the many earthquakes in antiquity, possibly by one in 15 or 1600's that took out Thera. I understand the laws have shifted a bit in the past decade or so, and you should be able to freely snorkel in the area, just be sure not to pick up or remove anything from the site - those laws haven't changed, and are very strict.
I snorkeled off of Pseira, I believe, and it juts up out of the deep water Mediterranean, if you like snorkeling alongside a cliff face in water a couple hundred or so feet deep - with visibility likewise. Closest I've ever been to flying outside of an aircraft, and a pretty strange feeling when the bottom disappears on the way back to the boat..heh! This link provides some info on why I so thoroughly enjoyed my three day breaks from shift at Iraklion AS:
http://archive.archaeology.org/1001/etc/minoan_shipwreck.html
If you want to walk through history, and even snorkel through it, this is definitely the place to go. You can access the island via Souda Bay Naval Support Activity (my last overseas tour before retiring...), but PAX/Space-A flights tend to be pretty full and not easy to find.
Many more spots off of mainland Greece, including a spot in Volos on the East coast near a village called Ag. Ioannis (St. John), near Volos. Beautiful snorkeling, had one of the last remaining Med. seal populations in the region, great fishing. I brought home an octopus from there for my aquarium in Athens. Caught and released a gorgeous SeaHorse (released after showing it to the Taverna owner and his family...used a ziplock bag snorkeling to bring back interesting critters).
Hmm...so much for a "quick reply"...sorry for the book!

Above all, enjoy!

Thanks for this! If I ever get out that way I will have use you as a tour guide! Lol. I hope to try my chances at Space-A in the future, possibly try to get out to Hickam or the Kwajalein atoll.

That looks like an awesome spot, seems like a ways out though. How is the best way to get out there, looks to far to swim.

We used to make day trips for it. I really can't remember our starting point, it was the 70's. We'd have a huge SOS breakfast, packed a few sammiches and a couple flasks of wine, (some other things I'll leave to your imagination). With flippers you can get out there pretty fast. There are small islands all over. We'd drop off our packs on one and just explore. Then stop on the little five foot islands and party for a bit, then cruse back in. It really was a blast.

What a nice forum. Used to be from NW FL Eglin AFB area, although not military myself. They really could use more LFS and help with moving.

What a nice forum. Used to be from NW FL Eglin AFB area, although not military myself. They really could use more LFS and help with moving.

I was stationed at Hurlburt Field for a couple years in 1989 to 1990. Nice area, but I was never there very much :)

Back