Out of Control Hair Algae

its been 2 weeks, i havent seen any change at all, still stuck on the rocks very well too.

Pull the green, brush the rock.
4-25% water changes in a week
Start GFO

When phosphate is down to below .1 and you are providing the correct amount, color and length of photoperiod, your GHA will not return.

Reduce feedings (largest contributor to phosphate) and maintain a 10-15% water change weekly.

Also makes sure nitrate is below 5ppm and PH runs 7.8 -8.3

Green hair algae takes longer than bryopsis for it to work. Maybe wait 3 weeks. Might need to do another dose. Fluc eliminated my bryopsis issue in about 2 weeks.

I used the reef HD Reef Flux Antifungal Fish Medication. It comes in capsules. Worked like a charm on my bryopsis outbreak, which was getting out of control.

Had lots of issue with algae and turned a corner when I only kept the white lights 7 hours per day. Light is a nutrient. Reduce it and it might help. Haven't had issues in a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with all the maintenance based advice.
In addition, I've had algae/cyano/diatom issues for the longest time and tried blackouts, chemicals, bio pellets, refugium, etc. approaches to help. None worked well enough to stay with, and some created other problems. Last summer I started an algae scrubber with amazing results. My 115 gal mixed reef has never looked better.

I have hair algae... but i have a basic system no sump no skimmer just power heads and a hob.. i habe 30 coral and 10 fish... You need a cleanup crew.. and you need to rrmove the algae manually so they csn eat it before it grows too big.

Get a tooth brush and start cleaning that algae up.. pull it iff scrub.. ect.. then get yourself some sea urchins.. and some astrea and turbo snails. If it doesnt help get a sea hair or a foxface.

You just arent managing it.. i manage my hair algae and eventually after scrubbing it it off and getting a foxface and some urchins and stuff its under control now

I may need to give it a try I have GHA everywhere. I have Cheeto in sump growing great. Skimmer running. The change I think is tank was dark for 6 months and now have new lights. Where to buy and how much for 200 Gallons of water?

Back