Out of the box stand ideas

Long story short, my wife had our daughter last year so I am just getting back to this project now where I have the frame done and I just need to build the exterior of the stand. With 1 year to think about it, I have been considering some out of the box ideas and would appreciate some input and ideas.

One idea I saw and thought was cool was the whole river rock encased in resin concept. It wouldn't have to be river rock, it could be crushed coral or even seaweed. Another idea was to have a kraken theme with tentacles wrapping around all sides and the canopy. I could combine the two ideas as well to make a negative space octopus/kraken with the resin and some texturing or the wood and backing and/or illuminating of the resin.

Details: It is a 75 gallon tank (48x18) with a 30 inch tall stand. I went with cherry for the hardwood and I do not mind going dark with the wood. I will have a canopy. I do have access to quality tools and talent though my dad who has been using woodworking in his home improvement projects for 40+ years.

Any input or ideas are appreciated. Pictures would be great too.

So after thinking it over I had an idea. In order to simplify and make the most out of this design, I could use an epoxy resin to make the panel pieces of the front doors. The outer edge, or the trim, would be wood but the center would be where I could do all my design work.

The benefit to this is it drastically reduces the amount of work required compared to something expanding beyond the doors, it eliminates the issues I noticed with an opaque material and what is behind it in the sump, and it will make a focal point for the design rather than a mess across the whole stand. The whole stand thought did not last long after hitting paper. The only drawbacks I can see are that the design is limited to only the front side rather than being a consistent theme, and that my door design would change away from the routered edge I was planning on.

In the sump, I have a refugium and an ATS. The lights from both of these are red, violet, and blue LEDs. This will illuminate the epoxy from the back and make any shapes I enclose in the epoxy backlit and the whole thing should glow. I really think the red/purple light will enhance the kraken theme if I go with that route. If it were blue or white lights then I might go with something different but this seems right.

Thoughts?

My thought is this - You are going to have a very nice looking stand when you are finished. Although I built mine, starting with rough cut cherry from the local sawmill and ending with a piece of fine furniture that matches the rest of the house, I wish I had the artistic ability to do something like you are planning.

Please keep posting! Progress pictures as well as the final design!!!!!

I found an image to demonstrate my concept. This is a very rough copy so portions and alignment is off, I just threw it together using paint to see how I liked the look. The dark red is to represent the frame pieces of the cherry hardwood doors. The panels themselves are the wrong backlit color but the idea is there. The shapes would likely be done with more cherry that would be cut and placed in the epoxy. A planer would be used to reduce the thickness so it could be fully encased in the epoxy.

I don't think I am good enough to add details to the wood but maybe I could sand it into a rounded shape. I think I might play around with the idea of adding other details like seaweed or sinking ship but that might just clutter it.

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• kraken doors.jpg
    kraken doors.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 0
The thing about "art" like this is that it is VERY MUCH a personal preference..

But I always enjoy seeing how others are creative no matter if I would put it in my house or not..

The thing about "art" like this is that it is VERY MUCH a personal preference..

But I always enjoy seeing how others are creative no matter if I would put it in my house or not..

I agree but the alternative is making something with no personality. That's why I am looking at this idea. I tried several designs trying to find something worth putting the effort into making but if you do not commit to a style then you are left with nothing but the bare bones flat wood with varnish. With my current idea, I can reduce the overall design to something a little more masculine and straight lined, but still have something in there that says "Wow".

So while you are correct, you have to do something with the stand. Even plain black or white is a style of its own. You just have to find something you are satisfied with. For me it is hardwood but even then it was missing something.

Last edited:
With my stand I just matched the shaker style woodwork of the doors/trim,etc... in my house so the stand matches the rest of the house..
My personal taste is make the tank itself and what I put in it stand out.. I want the stand itself to blend in and not take anything away from the tank..

Random idea by applying KISS. What if I replaced the epoxy resin with 2 acrylic sheets? Front one clear back one opaque, the silhouette would then be paper or plastic and framed between the 2 sheets of acrylic. That way I can replace the pattern whenever I felt like it, maybe even change it to a viewing window of the bottom tank.

Upside: Much simpler, and probably cheaper. Replaceable acrylic if it gets scratched or damaged. Plus, I can change the patterns in the window.

Downside: Very limited in the silhouettes. Could look cheap if not done right. Kids could knock the acrylic out of place if not seated right. The kids (toddler and infant) would be tempted to try to knock it out. The back lighting might not illuminate the entire panel as it might with epoxy (need to look into this).

Just a thought would foam work? They make a lot of movie props out of that stuff.

What do you mean? As the insert into the epoxy or instead of epoxy? If I went with the epoxy route, the epoxy would have clear coats to see the texture and all the details and behind all that would be the opaque layer so you can not see clear into the sump. So foam might work there, but I have little height to work with and then I would have to paint it I feel like it would have to be perfect. If I made that out of wood then I do not have to do anything but stain it the same as the rest of the stand. In that case the details can be a lot more vague and have the wood grain and shape be the focus.

If I were talented with making and painting models then I would probably go with your idea, but that seems harder than working with a jigsaw and sandpaper.

So I'm thinking about going with a middle route between the two ideas. An acrylic panel mounted into the door, then beyond that would be a blank slot for whatever I wanted. I could start with a window into the sump for simplicity, then have the option to place a silhouette or an epoxy design as I see fit. That way I am not locked into any one choice even if I never change it.

Even though it reduces my workable depth by 1/4" (unless it sticks out the back a little), I think this is my best bet. It gets the project done faster, lets me show off the sump when it is new and clean, and allows for upgrades. Worst case scenario, I could just replace the acrylic with wood and you would never know the difference.

Back