Outer orbit HQI 2x250 vs tek 8x54

+1 for the Tek 8 bulb, had one one my 120. Switched to a dual 250w with 2 t5, the hit on my electric bill and my water temp wasn't worth it Imo went back to t5s

+1 for the Tek 8 bulb, had one one my 120. Switched to a dual 250w with 2 t5, the hit on my electric bill and my water temp wasn't worth it Imo went back to t5s

Had those two things listed in my pro t5 column. Wasnt sure if the difference would be worth it.

Thanks.

Any others have feedback?

I've used a Current Outer Orbit MH system before and I liked it. It worked great.

If it was me, I would go with that one.

Better shimmer effect, good color and great growth.

if you have a canopy..i'd go with a retrofit reflectors. I used to use the outer orbit system, but the spread from the reflectors is very small. You don't utilize all the light you have there. If you're paying for it (electricity), you might as well get all out of it that you can.

Unless you can find someone selling the Current fixture, you won't be able to buy it from a vendor -- has been discontinued, think it has been for a year now.

With that said, I have the Current fixture over my 75, and a TEK 6 bulb fixture over my 40. I am torn b/t which one I like better. Like the color options of the T5 set up, but really like the shimmer of the MH. Though, the MH fixture does produce more heat.

Unless you can find someone selling the Current fixture, you won't be able to buy it from a vendor -- has been discontinued, think it has been for a year now.

With that said, I have the Current fixture over my 75, and a TEK 6 bulb fixture over my 40. I am torn b/t which one I like better. Like the color options of the T5 set up, but really like the shimmer of the MH. Though, the MH fixture does produce more heat.

Im probably going to have both within a few weeks due to a few purchases, too good to pass up. Not sure which i should put on my 120 setup when i do finally make the transition.

When things are all said and done, i will probably have a canopy because i just like that appearance better.

As far as the color options... I could just add those colored t5 bulbs to the setup because its a led, t5, mh combo.

The difference in wattage is not that great.....500w for the mh and 432w for the t5. It depends upon how much you will run each as well. 68w difference per month is not going to cost you very much at all.

When I upgraded from a 90 to a 210, I added another 250W MH for a total of 3(250W) now. With the increased size of my return pump from my basement sump, my total electric bill has gone up around $40 per month total.

Thanks, Steve

I just switched to the Outer Orbit fixture from a 6x54 Tek and so far I love it. The Tek is a nice fixture, but it has no moonlights and no cooling. With 4 T5's in the Outer Orbit, I still have plenty of room to adjust the colors, plus I get the MH shimmer. The only down side is the cooling fans, the stock fans are REALLY loud. I'll be replacing them with Silenx fans very shortly.

I would go with the Tek fixture. Both will work great, and I actually own the outer orbit fixture, but I think the reflectors are too small in the orbit and tek ha pretty good reflectors. Also the heat is easier to deal with on t5's. I pulled apart my 72" outer orbit and retrofitted it into my canopy and bow I have to out a fan somewhere in there because the heat gets crazy.

Back