overflow/15g sump: tons of questions!

victor.m

So I feel like every day I'm learning 20 new things when it comes to plumbing, overflows, sumps, and the likes. I started off with a 5.5g sump for a 29g tank, and realized how that was too small to handle my tank's size. I then moved on to a 10g, and due to poor baffle design and poorly siliconed acrylic, some of my baffles have given way and it's essentially falling apart.

Since I cannot fit a 20g long under my DT's stand, I have decided to go with a 15g tank for my new, and hopefully final, sump.

The dimensions of the 15g is 24"x12x"12".

My current plan:

rewND.jpg

My main questions are..is this design effective? From my understanding the skimmer will pull water out of the return section and then spit it back it, and it will all spill over into the bubble trap and end up in the fuge.

The fuge will be some chaeto and a chunk of LR, debating whether to do DSB or no DSB..input?

What would it benefit me to add eggcrate between the fuge/return area? Would this simply prevent any critters/algae from easily spilling over and clogging the pump?

Are there any ways I could do this to make the sump area better/more efficient?

Next is the issue of glass vs. acrylic panels. I did use some acrylic panels for my current sump. From my understanding, silicone does not hold acrylic as well as it does glass? Would it maybe be better to go to a glass shop and get glass panels cut for my sump baffles, or is that just not necessary?

And lastly my overflow.. I have an overflow I bought at my LFS. I don't have any pictures right now but it's your typical overflow with adjustable height and teeth on the inside box.

My biggest worry right now is having siphon if the power goes out and comes back on. I understand that if the power goes out, the overflow will siphon only enough to drain the main tank until water no longer flows under the teeth. My question is..how about when the power comes back on?

After testing with my overflow, it seems as if when I cut/restart the power, the siphon does not start back up. There is water on both ends of the u-tube, but my tank just keeps overflowing until it spills over.

Is there a specific level I want the overflow box to be or some way to set it up so that it would continue the siphon after a gap in energy? I wish I could find an easy answer to this but I'm not all very familiar with how siphons work and why it won't re-start or how to make it restart itself once it has stopped.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated..I know I've posted a lot and asked a lot of questions lately, but man these things just keep stumpiung me, lol.

Thanks for all the help!

- Vic

Definite yes on the egg crate between the 'fuge and return. It's an accident waiting to happen without it

Your siphon should start right back when the power returns as long as your teeth aren't so low that you get air into the tubes. It will take a few minutes (dependent on how fast your pumps get water flowing back over the teeth) for the water level to rise and start filling your overflow again. You may have to turn the return flow down until the siphon starts again...I do, at least

Definite yes on the egg crate between the 'fuge and return. It's an accident waiting to happen without it

Your siphon should start right back when the power returns as long as your teeth aren't so low that you get air into the tubes. It will take a few minutes (dependent on how fast your pumps get water flowing back over the teeth) for the water level to rise and start filling your overflow again. You may have to turn the return flow down until the siphon starts again...I do, at least

Hmm so I am getting air into my siphon once the return goes off. How do I adjust to make it so that this doesn't happen?

Back