Overflow pipe leaking when filling up normal?

M

Motopsycho007

Have been in the hobby since 2004 and setting up another tank now with an overflow setup I have never used. Typically, I drill and build my own overflow setup.

As I'm filling the tank, I've been adding water to the overflow box to equalize pressure, but what I have noticed is that I got about 3" of water in the over flow and the drain pipe now have a steady drip down to the sump. Is this expected? I would not have thought so.

Attachments

• photo412439.jpg
    photo412439.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
  • photo412440.jpg
    photo412440.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
  • photo412441.jpg
    photo412441.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 2
Have been in the hobby since 2004 and setting up another tank now with an overflow setup I have never used. Typically, I drill and build my own overflow setup.

As I'm filling the tank, I've been adding water to the overflow box to equalize pressure, but what I have noticed is that I got about 3" of water in the over flow and the drain pipe now have a steady drip down to the sump. Is this expected? I would not have thought so.

Is the problem visible in one of those photos? The pictures are great but I'm not seeing the problem.

Is the problem visible in one of those photos? The pictures are great but I'm not seeing the problem.

No, pics were more for understanding setup.

Should the return pump lose power, I understand the sump will take on some additional water as the level on main tank lowers to the top of the overflow box. But should the overflow box also empty into the sump, my guess is that the connection of the standpipe to the bulkhead has a leak and not supposed to be like that.

It's definitely going to empty to the lowest point, so you probably got it right. It's not a deal breaker unless it bugs you.

Thanks, my fear would be if the overflow is ever compromised, seal goes bad, then the tank would essentially empty.

Unfortunately I have to rehome my entire setup.
Jbj 45 all in one with stand
Ai hydra 26 light
Ai Nero 3
Tunze skimmer
Automatic feeder
Auto aqua ato
Nano 240 x2
Water heater
Hygger 24v pump
Test kits
Live rock, corals
And a bunch of extras

Attachments

• photo412457.jpg
    photo412457.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 2
Actually if the weir seal allowed water to pass, you are exactly right.

I have drained the overflow, pull the bulkhead and pipe. It was very loose fitting. I had some aquarium silicone and fixed it I hope. Will give it time to cure and reassemble.

Attachments

• photo412458.jpg
    photo412458.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
  • photo412459.jpg
    photo412459.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
Back