Overtightened bulkhead

ZoMan

Ok - In a rush and trying to make sure my bulkhead was waterwpoof, I overtightened it. I DID NOT crack the tank, I simply installed the wrong size bulkhead. Now I can't get the octagonal plastic nut off. Any suggestions?

I used the alternate bulkhead that comes with the Megaflow kit that is the same size as the larger hole in the bottom of the tank, but not at the top where it has to fit into the drain pipe base. I was working alone and was way too tired.

I am trying desparately to get this tank up and running, as I teach Zoology and would like to get my sponges and corals and other inverts transferred to the newer tank BEFORE we get to those units in about a week.

I have plenty of live rock and all of my water to help in the transition, so I shouldn't need a lot of cycle time, if any at all. I just need to get the tank operational. Will a pair of channel locks do the trick? Secondly, am I trying to make this happen too fast? My LFS said I could go directly from one tank to the other with all of the live rock and water I have.

Since you are asking about using a tool to loosen, I assume you only hand tightened it in the first place. So it should easily come loose with a pair of channel locks if you cant get it loose by hand.
Give it a try, cant hurt. Just make sure you dont turn in the wrong direction and make it tighter :D

I used the included metal tool that came with the megaflow kit. I really got it tight. I thought I was doing well. Of course we all know what the first three letters of assume are!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15647714#post15647714 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RicksReefs
use the tool to get it off again... ;)

Yeah, what he said ;)

Honestly, I havent used a megaflow overflow kit so I dont know what tool it is. Personally, I have never tightened a bulkhead with a tool. Always just cranked them down by hand. I Check for leaks and then in a couple of days, after the gasket has been compressed, I snug it down a sinch more if possible, again, by hand. Never had one leak that I can recall. If I were to use a tool, it would be just a hair past hand tight. But again, never found the need but I have needed the channel locks to loosen a few.

I would still think it should come lose with the included tool or channel locks.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15647714#post15647714 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RicksReefs
use the tool to get it off again... ;)

I can't. It is trying to strip the nut. I guess I will have to go with the channel locks and hope for the best.

Just for the future.... Your working with glass so you don't want to tighten everything like your working on an old 1971 Buick Estate Wagon..:lol:

Snug is the word! And lots O' silicone!!

I got it! I took the tank off of the stand with the help of three lab students and used BOTH tools provided with the two megaflow kits to minimize stripping. One down, only a few to go! Thanks for the help guys! Stick around..... I may need more help!

Really, thanks!

I wouldn't use silicone to get a seal on a bulkhead. any type of lubricant can make the gasket squeze out under pressure (tight locknut). If it leaks on install, either it wasn't installed just right or the BH is junk.

Second that. No lubricant or silicone needs to be used on the bulkhead. When it's installed correctly the gasket is all that you'll need.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15648342#post15648342 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Saltcity

And lots O' silicone!!
Im with the last two posts, Ive always heard never use silicone on bulkheads. The rubber gasket is what is supposed to make the seal, silicone can lead to problems

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15651217#post15651217 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dan223
silicone can lead to problems

Really??? I've always used silicone. What kind of problems should I expect? I'm just curious...

Leaks! what else. Anytime a soft gasket or o-rings are used you only use one, they are made to be sandwiched inbetween two hard surfaces. Just like an oil filter on a car if someone doesnt notice the old rubber stays on and puts the new filter on it usually leaks. Yours may be fine forever... its just not standard procedure and could cause problems.

I agree with not using 2 oil filter rubber gaskets. I have a hard time buying the gasket/high temp gasket maker on heads (I've used together) combination not working. Same concept, 2 very different materials. Rubber gasket combined with silicone (or RTV gasket maker for your car analogy). It works for cars, why not tanks?

There are more than a few people that use silicone sealant on their bulkheads. Personally, I dont see how it is going to hurt anything if it isnt overtightened. But, it should not be necessary.

Back