Ozone and the Reef Aquarium

Hdhuntr01

I have read this series. I recently had an outbreak of Ich that killed off most of my fish and so I have installed an Ozone Generator to help control any free floating Ich. I am running the Ozone Generator on a 150G Reef Tank. Obviously I am not adding any livestock to the tank for a minimum of 8 weeks. Right now I have the ozone drawn into the air stream of my Reef Octopus 150 recirculating protien skimmer and I have the output of the protien skimmer running into a filter sock full of GAC. I am trying to run the Ozone Generator off of my AquaController Pro. There are a couple issues that maybe you could shed some light on. My controller allows me the option of measuring ORP with or without pH compensation. I cannot find any recommendations of whether to run with pH compensation or not. At a pH of 8.1 it makes a +30mV difference in readings. Without running any Ozone my ORP stays around 430mV without pH compensation. Running Ozone I have the controller set to turn the Ozone off at 455mV. Typically my ORP readings now are between 450mV and 460mV. Does this sound about right? Should I measure with or without pH compensation?

Also, since running Ozone, my skimate is virtually nil. The very small amount that collects is a black color but I would estimate there is less than 5 mils per day now. All the corals look healthy and their polyps are fully extended and the few fish I have remaining seem healthy and active. Would this be what should be expected?

Last edited:
Back