Painting the INSIDE back glass

Chibils

halide loyalist
Hi all,

I'm about to purchase an all-in-one setup, and no matter which one you pick, they all have black backgrounds to hide the filtration area/"sump" behind them. I'd love to change that background to something a little brighter and more natural, like a light/medium blue. I know black is very popular because it makes everything pop but I really prefer the natural aesthetic. I've read of a lot of people using Krylon Fusion, but is that safe for the  inside glass? And will it scrape off when I'm cleaning the back panel? I'd hate to release any toxic compounds into the water.

Why not purchase a piece of thin blue acrylic that you can silicone in place.
Easy enough to remove if necessary.

And yes, blue is the best color for background.

painting the inside is not a good idea. Even if it cures safely, the salt water is going to wreck it in no time. Figure out a way to remove the black off of the back if you want to change it.

Why not purchase a piece of thin blue acrylic that you can silicone in place.
Easy enough to remove if necessary.

And yes, blue is the best color for background.
I’d do this👆 I would imagine the paint would chip/scratch in no time

My concern with trying to cover it with a piece of blue acrylic was that the "overflow" weirs and return holes are drilled or cut into the black false back. It would be very difficult to disguise, and for that reason I may just keep the black background. It's not a huge deal, just something I had hoped to do before adding water since it's impossible to do after.

My concern with trying to cover it with a piece of blue acrylic was that the "overflow" weirs and return holes are drilled or cut into the black false back. It would be very difficult to disguise, and for that reason I may just keep the black background. It's not a huge deal, just something I had hoped to do before adding water since it's impossible to do after.
They do make blue plastic aquarium background. I have no idea if it’s reef safe though as it’s generally used on the outside, but it is easy to cut

Could also see if anyone has an acrylic cutter to cut out the Weirs and return sections

glued on back.

FAilPot.gif

I appreciate all the feedback, everyone. Seems having acrylic cut to size around the weirs and returns is the only feasible option.

Back