Palythoas poisining

The link goes to the builders of reef site that is blocked here.

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago but exposure was very brief. I knew exactly what I had done as soon as I did it. Regardless of exposure level go to the ER. My exposure was a matter of seconds. I started feeling tired afterwards and laid down. I woke up in a pool of vomit... then off to the ER. Do not waste time printing stuff out, the ER doctors have a direct line to poison control. They have lots of info on this. It is rare but does happen more often then we probably realize. I have made a full recovery except for needing an asthma inhaler at least once per day. I am sure Tommy will be dealing with this for many months to come.

Tommy is lucky to be alive.

This is real folks. It can and will kill you no matter your experience level. I have been doing this plenty long enough to know better yet a few second lapse of judgment almost cost us and several others their lives.

Do not dismiss this. It can happen.

For the record, longest time to death was 16 hours after exposure due to heart failure. Again, this is real. So if you think you have been exposed do not brush it off.

Last edited:
Nah, they said it will die down. I have had exercise/allergen induced asthma my whole life but haven't needed a rescue inhaler for 10 years.

Its already not as bad and I am willing to bet by next month it will be gone.

I am still paying off my trip to the ER in an ambulance after being poisoned by some palys. Home by myself, had enough time to call the wife who was at work. She called 911 and sent them to the house only to find me unconscious on the floor. Rushed to hospital and released 6 hours later, I felt like crap for the next 3 days. Not anything to mess with, either are spider bites, nearly checked out from one of those also. I am amazed at the toxins animals have in them.

This is tommy, believe it. I am blessed to be here. Still have my reef though, cut the same palys to put in alcohol to be tested and documented.

Racer, I'll send youmy phone number, like to talk to ya,

Peace tommy

Racer, I'll send you my phone number, like to talk to ya,

For sure. Same here. Would be interested in the paly testing as well. I missed a few polyps from the exact colony that hit me and they are still on my Hawkins. Never thought about that.

Edit:
Nah, they said it will die down. I have had exercise/allergen induced asthma my whole life but haven't needed a rescue inhaler for 10 years.

Its already not as bad and I am willing to bet by next month it will be gone.
Its been another month and I am still using the rescue inhaler. Still getting better but not 100%. I would say I am around 75% of my typical lung capacity. When I wake up I don't have much flem in my lungs and when I cough its starting to get normal. I had "smokers cough" up to about a week ago. I am not a smoker.

Last edited:
Back