Palytoxin Poisoning

looked though whole Thread, passed on info to friends and family members im going to print out the Palytoxin Poisoning chart just in case you never know

Good to see you got to keep your eye sight! Great thread. I got blood poisoning myself after moving one tank to a larger one. There's no two ways around it. I forgot to wash thoroughly after I got the tiniest flesh wound.

yikes.... im keeping this thread handy just in case. you never know if something like that can happen to you

Got it last night cleaning/fragging a colony of Capt Americas. I'm so happy I'm crying. No wait, maybe that the swelling and pain causing the tears.

Left eye swelled shut around 3 am.

Was fragging and playing in tank , got a small nick from sharp coral. Red lines and pain started in about 2 hours. Ended up at emergency with very bad blood poisoning next morning.

Wow so glad I read this as I just got my first zoa. I'll make sure I wash my hands after being in the tank that's for sure.

Being in this hobby for over 20 years (the last of which have been addicted to zoas & palys), I have gotten palytoxin poisoning a few times within the last few years. Well, just last week I was syphoning my tank during a water change and I found an aiptasia in one of my zoa colonies and I attempted to syphon it (useless attempt btw). The suction of the syphon obviously pulled some of the zoas into the clear tubing I was using and a milky white liquid rushed out. I thought maybe that was detritus that had accumulated, so I tried it again on another colony. Same thing. Turns out the white liquid was the toxin being syphoned out. Just an fyi, in case this happens to anyone, because the water you're syphoning may also be toxic to a certain degree.

Old thread to resurrect but damn, purple deaths did that eh? I bought 4 of those little boogers and they have trippled! I'll watch out after checking this post out.

I've been warning reefers against keeping Palythoa in their systems for over 10 years. Seems like its going to take a full on death or complete blindness to get into everyone's heads that these are some of the most toxic animals on the planet and should not be kept at all.

The fact that people even keep a Hawaiian strain baffles the hell out of me.

1) Federal felony to even HAVE them in possession.
2) Sure death if you accidentally ingest more than 8 microns of toxin.
3) Very high probability of going completely blind if you rub it in your eyes.

I'm not trying to discourage people from keeping Zoanthids as they are moderately less harmful. But Palythoa, especially ANY from Hawaii is just plain dumb. Darwin would agree and hand out an award to anyone rolling the dice to keep them.

The Palythoa's can can shoot it airborne, they are no joke. Be very careful when dipping or doing anything like that. I've seen them trash a 5000 sf warehouse and make everyone in the building sick.

Funny how when I first starting to investigate for a reef this thread appeared first and helped me prevent poisoning myself thanks.

Back