Panther Grouper - pink spot under mouth

leviticus

LiveAquaria sent me the wrong fish using their WYSIWYG. This Panther Grouper has a pink circle under its mouth, any ideas what this is?

Attachments

• lg-1110237-264.jpg
    lg-1110237-264.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 19
2nd pic looks like a scrape. Like skin is missing or scraped off that area.
If that's the case it should heal on its own.

2nd pic looks like a scrape. Like skin is missing or scraped off that area.
If that's the case it should heal on its own.

May be a small surface infection. If the fish is being fed properly (Download then read, the Fish Nutrition document) and the water quality is excellent, it may heal on its own. However, at any sign that is is getting bigger, treat with Kanaplex.

I noticed this after adding the Panther Grouper to the tank. It's damage on the side, near the tail. It hasn't noticeably changed in the past 3 days. It took me awhile to get some clear pictures of the damage. The pink spot on the face looks the same, and it has been eating well everyday.

Attachments

• 20231117_171805.jpg
    20231117_171805.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 20231117_171807.jpg
    20231117_171807.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 20231117_171809.jpg
    20231117_171809.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I noticed this after adding the Panther Grouper to the tank. It's damage on the side, near the tail. It hasn't noticeably changed in the past 3 days. It took me awhile to get some clear pictures of the damage. The pink spot on the face looks the same, and it has been eating well everyday.
If this continues (and doesn't necessarily get bigger) then I would proceed to treat with Kanaplex.

Help the fish by improving its immunity and ability to heal wounds by adding supplements for an ill fish to its diet as recommended in the Fish Nutrition document. Click on that link, then download (and read) the document. Use especially Beta-1,3/1,6-D-Glucan found online, in health-food stores, and pharmacies. Directions for its use and quantity is provided in the link.

What exactly is this fish eating and how frequent?

If this continues (and doesn't necessarily get bigger) then I would proceed to treat with Kanaplex.

Help the fish by improving its immunity and ability to heal wounds by adding supplements for an ill fish to its diet as recommended in the Fish Nutrition document. Click on that link, then download (and read) the document. Use especially Beta-1,3/1,6-D-Glucan found online, in health-food stores, and pharmacies. Directions for its use and quantity is provided in the link.

What exactly is this fish eating and how frequent?
Silver Sides, Krill, Shrimp. The Grouper will accept food once or twice a day.

Whats the best brand of Beta-1,3/1,6-D-Glucan for fish on Amazon? If each capsule is 500 mg, how many mg should I add to each meal?

Do you think this is a wound from another fish biting it or something else? Do wounds on fish normally swell up like this?

Whats the best brand of Beta-1,3/1,6-D-Glucan for fish on Amazon? If each capsule is 500 mg, how many mg should I add to each meal?

Do you think this is a wound from another fish biting it or something else? Do wounds on fish normally swell up like this?
1/4 of a silver side, 2 krill, or small shrimp similar size to 1/4 of a silver side

Read the link. It provides the quantity of Beta Glucan to use. Any brand, so long as it states: Beta-1,3/1,6-D-Glucan.

Can't say for sure its source. You can tell if another fish is giving it a problem. Have you tried this? Aggressors are usually more assertive during a feeding, but not while around you necessarily. Set your smartphone/camera up to record a 30 min video. Then add food to the tank. Leave immediately after adding the food, and totally keep everyone out of sight. Check the video later to see if there are any signs of aggression.

In addition to the above; A video longer than one minute under white light up close to the fish, showing both sides of the fish would be helpful. You can upload the video to YouTube then post the link to it here.

Iwould definitely get some antibiots in just to keep secondary bacterial infections away. and maybe help heal the fish.

"Red spots" on marine fishes can be from a few different conditions:
Injury
Infection
Septicemia
Liver Disease
Fungal infection

Kanaplex will help in the first two on the list and somewhat on the third. I don't think it is septicemia in this case, but nonetheless, if the Kanaplex doesn't provide clearing up the spots, then the fish needs to move to a hospital tank where it can be treated with Mardel Maracyn® 2 MINOCYCLINE. Most infections are from Gram Negative bacteria and this is a good antibiotic for that.

If the red spots are lesions, indicative of a liver disease, then there is no cure. It isn't contagious.

Fungal infections are truly rare in marine fishes, despite what some may claim. The Kanaplex treatment will cover this possibility.

Back