"pay it forward" program proposal

Ok guys Tony and I have broke the Ice. I picked up a tort from him yesterday. So now you all know this is real, Can not post a pick because I don't have a working camera. But it is a nice frag about 1 1/4" looks just like a Cali Tort to me with out the green. It will be quite awhile be for I will be able to offer any frags of it. But once they grew out I will be returning to favor to someone else. So lets get on board here. I know there are a lot of really great tanks out there and this is a opportunity to help some fellow reefers and the oceans. I have herd lots of people say they think this is a good Idea but see very few doing anything to make this work. I know there has been a few people who have extended offers of coral to get this rolling. And would like to thank you for this. Al has done a wonderful job at setting up the spread sheet and is willing to do the work. Tony and I have set an example. This is a good Idea, And can work but we need for more involvement.

My yellow acro is available if anybody interested I just haven't gotten my act together yet. I tryed opening that file but didn't see a way to edit/save. I was never given an official "name" of it, it's just a supper bright yellow/green acro. The photo is someplace on my PC...I have too much going on to even mention right now, but anybody that wants to come to me for a piece of it, I can get atleast 2 at this point...maybe a 3rd.

Soooooo is there some good reason why the same people who buy corals from each other won't take them for free? lmao

im down with free frags, i just dont think i have anythng too "desireable" to add to the up for grabs list. I'd much rather wait until I have some good stuff handed out before i start taking some frags. I have plenty of zoo frags and other softies (around 70 frags ready to go) if anyone was interested in those types i can post a list of what I have available. I just assumed nobody would be interested in those types. Let me know what you guys think.

I would be on board with this too as it is a really good idea! I just cant right now because I am not currently a paid member of ncpars, and as I am recently graduated and still unemployed it might be a little bit until I can contribute to this as a paying member.

My zoa production has been sub par. I don't know why they don't like my tank. I know I have alk and calc issues that are causing some SPS RTN here and there, but the zoas seem to take more offense to it than the SPSs. I won't take a pay it forward coral until I know I'm stable and will be able to GROW it. I need to get my CA back on-line..with a pH monitor this time.

Well I am sure things will pick up eventually. Even though there is a lack of activity, the program is still up and running and I am still accepting donations to the program. Until then I'll continue to wait patiently and keep the spreadsheet up to date.

This will take years to develope.Do not get discouraged,you guys did the hard part already and got it going.Building on this and keeping the topic fresh will help.I for one will be donating corals(bling!!!) also but I am not ready either.Good work Al,Tony and others involved.Its another positive for the club and coral conservation so its a win/win

I know this thread is almost two months old but, I am Going to bring this to the top again because it's a great idea.
I'm not always very active on the boards but I do try to make it to all swaps. I will be emailing al and letting him know I am interested in participating and which coral I will be offering up. when I decide I will post a pic in this thread.
Good luck to all who are going to join in on the fun and grow some corals to give and receive.

I have sympodium I can add to the list. It may take another month to get a frag off of it though.

Sweet Jon! Al, add my aussie hulk table to the list. Sanjay told me at the swap a few days ago that his frag has grown into one of the nicest acros in his tank.

I am really interested in getting involved in this as I like the idea of club members sharing vs. selling to each other. I have even done things like barter electrical/carpentry work for frags when able which helps everyone out. I looked at the rules of this PIF program; do I need to be a payed member to participate? What would be some examples of corals that are "desirable" at this point in time? My experience is in mostly softies, ricordia, lps and limited SPS. Was thinking about some nice acans or something. I will try to pick something up soon and post pics for everyone.

I am really interested in getting involved in this as I like the idea of club members sharing vs. selling to each other. I have even done things like barter electrical/carpentry work for frags when able which helps everyone out. I looked at the rules of this PIF program; do I need to be a payed member to participate? What would be some examples of corals that are "desirable" at this point in time? My experience is in mostly softies, ricordia, lps and limited SPS. Was thinking about some nice acans or something. I will try to pick something up soon and post pics for everyone.

Yes, you need to be a paid member of the society. It is one of the benefits of being a member. If we offered this to nonmembers as well, it wouldn't be a benefit to pay to be a member.

As far as desirable.. This is an opinion question, what is desirable to some is undesirable to another. I think that regardless of what is offered and by who at some point when the pool of people in the program gets large enough, everyone will find something they would like to "Pay it Forward"

The society just needs its members to get in on the program and get rolling. There is already a nice list of people starting the program. The more the merrier! :D

I really like this idea, as well. I just became an official member of NCPARS, thus these opinions should be taken with a grain of salt. In fact, I am not even sure the degree to which they apply to this program.

First, I think that there may be some of us who feel as though they have little to nothing to that they can possibly add to this program. I would hate for those with less experience or different interests to be put off. As discussed in the "greed" thread, retail purchases of corals are expensive, regardless of the type of coral. People with species set ups (such as seahorses or mantis shrimp) may perfer to have soft corals in their tanks. I know that I requested at least 2 soft coral frags at the recent swap that couldn't be delivered because they did not survive fragging. So I really hope that people with all types of corals and experience will be welcomed, because there really are people out there who find even "less desireable" corals desirable.

I'm also interested in knowing if there are members who are willing to do the physical fragging of other member's corals. I recently purchased a nice sized scroll coral; it is really the only piece that I currently have that is of a size that it could be fragged. However, I do not feel at all comfortable in doing so. When/if the time comes, could I, say, bring it to a swap and have somebody assist me with that?

I'm also interested in knowing if there are members who are willing to do the physical fragging of other member's corals. I recently purchased a nice sized scroll coral; it is really the only piece that I currently have that is of a size that it could be fragged. However, I do not feel at all comfortable in doing so. When/if the time comes, could I, say, bring it to a swap and have somebody assist me with that?

Yes there are members who would do this. I am one of them. I have all the tools needed to do almost any type of fragging. I even have a wet saw for scroll, chalice, and Monti Cap corals. I actually use the saw for almost everything that is delicate and I fear will smash into a thousand pieces with a pair of coral cutters or a razor blade. It takes the fear out of the situation and makes for a nice edge for coral growth, healing, and the mess goes into the wet side reservoir.

If you really are central PA, then you probably aren't that far from me... Also we are doing a fragging demo at the April swap so be sure to check that out and see how its done and ask as many questions as you like. That is exactly why we do the demo! I hope to see you there!

I've noticed many people ask for macro algae and other stuff that grows in your tank. I am going to add a page to the spreadsheet for this kind of stuff. That way people know exactly who to contact and what may be available. I am sure there is a steady supply of chaeto and other macro algae within the club. So if you have it and are willing to share make sure you list it before throwing it out. I dont think this kind of stuff should be governed by the same rules as corals so no one has to give three away and all junk. All I am going to ask is that you use it and be willing to share it once you have enough of it. Simple enough? I think so.

Al

I've noticed many people ask for macro algae and other stuff that grows in your tank. I am going to add a page to the spreadsheet for this kind of stuff. That way people know exactly who to contact and what may be available. I am sure there is a steady supply of chaeto and other macro algae within the club. So if you have it and are willing to share make sure you list it before throwing it out. I dont think this kind of stuff should be governed by the same rules as corals so no one has to give three away and all junk. All I am going to ask is that you use it and be willing to share it once you have enough of it. Simple enough? I think so.

Al

Al I agree that Macro should be listed seperately and not considered part of the trade 3 deal.

Maybe list it as Macro/inverts. Some may want stomatella snails which can be abundant in some tanks. Pods, chitons, starfish and others can be listed there. This way we at least know who to turn to for those items.

Maybe just a 1 for 1 kinda deal on the macro/invert page? Anyway you do it, should work fine!

Way to go everyone! :D

Back