pc lighting question????

fast57

I have a 96w 36" coralife light on my 45 gallon tank. Right now the bulbs in it are 1 daylight 10000k and 1 actinic. Would it be better If I put 1 daylight and 1 50/50 in it instead? that way I would have 1 and a half daylights and 1/2 an actinic and some more light for growth?

It would be ok but....... I may be wrong and if I am someone correct me. Some corals and even coraline algae need actinics. Also it is a little more pleasing to the eyes with the actinic.

I had that kind of setup for a while.Its fine.You can use 2x 50/50 but you will find it dim.Remember to change the bulbs every 6 months.Cheack your levels.Coraline requires calcium

well i dont want to go with 2 50/50's because i like the color i have now but id like better growth of my corals. How much would the lighting look change?

I think that softies will grow just fine under the regular lighting. Some LPS and SPS may require stronger lighting. My 27 is 24" tall and has a 130 watt PC lighting and my softies grow just fine.

I have had the best look and growth with the Sunpaq dual bulbs. The white bulb has one 6700 k and one 10,000 k and the Actinic has one 420 and on 460. So you get the fullest range of the light spectrum, which is best for coral growth. I really like the looks of them, too. The colors really POP compared to other PCs.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8106844#post8106844 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pete620
I've herd the 50/50 bulbs wear out faster (drop in color temp.) but I do not know if that is true.

It's said that actinic bulbs degrade faster so when you use the dual format bulbs the actinic side "wears" out faster 'n the daylight side.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8108276#post8108276 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by just dave
It's said that actinic bulbs degrade faster so when you use the dual format bulbs the actinic side "wears" out faster 'n the daylight side.

The only way it would make a difference is if you kept track of separate schedules for each ... the white and the actinic. If you always change them both out together it would be the same if you had 50/50s or one of each.

The 50/50s are more expensive and I thought mostly people used those who only have one and want some of each (daylight and actinic).

If it's true that the actinics wear out faster, should people with PCs replace whites and actinics on different schedules?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8108311#post8108311 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crpeck

If it's true that the actinics wear out faster, should people with PCs replace whites and actinics on different schedules?

Yes.

I guess that was kind of a stupid question the way I put it. What I meant, was is the difference in deterioration significant enough to justify the trouble? I don't know of many people that do that.

I supposed I could add it to my already obsessive list of things to do. Hmmmm.....

Thanks Dave

Back