Peppermint shrimp

ganjero

saiperchémibatteilcorazon
Where can I buy peppermint shrimp locally for the cheapest price? I want 20 or so.

Or what stores are there in pinellas? I found one on cl listing the shrimps for 3.99 which good pricing. It is located in st pete

If I'm not mistaken there are two types of peppermint shrimp one that does not eat pest aptasia and one that does?

If I'm not mistaken there are two types of peppermint shrimp one that does not eat pest aptasia and one that does?

As far as I know this is correct also. There is true peppermints and then false ones. I have had ones in the past that can be hit or miss. Hope you get the real ones and dont waste money on false ones!

So maybe that's the price difference I'm seeing $2 or $3 a piece for the real ones and a hand full for cheaper..peppermint bait shrimp ..

I know there is the Lysmata wurdemanni, which comes from the the Atlantic and the Gulf of mexico. This is what I want and the most common.

There is also the Lysmata Californica that comes from colder waters in the pacific, they don't eat aptasia and will most likely die in our reef systems.

I doubt they would be selling the later around here, but you never know.

I know there is the Lysmata wurdemanni, which comes from the the Atlantic and the Gulf of mexico. This is what I want and the most common.

You are mostly correct, however, there is more information to digest. I've been posting about this for years but most seem not to comprehend......

The original Aptasia eating shrimp of marine aquarium lore is Lysmata wurdemanni*.
4820lysmatawurdemanni.jpg

However, the species which is most commonly sold TODAY as "peppermint shrimp" is Lysmata rathbunae*.
4820lysmatarathbunae1.jpg

Also, there are at least 2 other local species that can occasionally appear in traps as well. Add in the possible hybrids of the 4, coupled with a reclassification of the local species in 2006* and identification is a real joy.

Even though the species are similar with geographical ranges and habitat that overlaps their behavior is different, which explains the hit or miss success and horror stories hobbyist experience. From experience, no matter the actual name, the only consistent Aptasia eating shrimp which rarely if ever molested desirable tank inhabitants was the critter formally known as Lysmata wurdemanni*, first picture. Unfortunately, in their native habitat this species appears to have been displaced by L. rathbunae*. "Rathunae" is now the bulk of the critters being offered as "Peppermint Shrimp".

*= A WESTERN ATLANTIC PEPPERMINT SHRIMP COMPLEX: REDESCRIPTION OF LYSMATA WURDEMANNI, DESCRIPTION OF FOUR NEW SPECIES, AND REMARKS ON LYSMATA RATHBUNAE by Andrew L. Rhyne and Junda Lin

Despite what anyone may promote, I believe the original miracle shrimp "Wurdemanni" is long gone from the hobby. It appears "Rathunae" has massively displaced "Wurdemanni" in local waters. IMO, the "myth" is perpetuated due to the huge economic incentive to continue selling "Peppermint" Shrimp.

Then again, what the heck do I know being "closed minded" and all. :p

Last edited:
😊 well thanks for the clarification and great info... I guess I will have to look into other methods to eradicate the aptasia....

😊 well thanks for the clarification and great info... I guess I will have to look into other methods to eradicate the aptasia....

I have had good luck on the hit side I guess. If u r willing to add as many as u mentioned. U r bound to get a few hits. Just my 2 cents. U don't need 20 if u get 1 or 2 to eat then they will clean it all up for u. Just know they tend to pick at corals after

Back