Peroxide dippin

jaylensdad06

Looking for advise on cleaning my dead rock. The rock I pulled out of my wifes tank I like and want to use it In my 40 breeder setup. It was covered in gha and photosynthetic flatworms. I scrubbed the rock as best I can and it's been sitting outside for a week or so...next step is to peroxide dip them and then start em cycling in a brute. I haven't had any luck on exact ways to do it...I found 4 to 1 water to peroxide..but for how long? A few hours a few days? And how long should I let it dry out before putting in salt to start cycling? Any advise would be awsome...

A cheaper way I used was cleaning mine in a vinegar and water bath for a few hours and then pressure washed it. Cleaned it back to its original white dry rock color. I know with spot treating live rock with 3% peroxide you use a 4/1 ratio but not sure about a bath for dead rock. Might have to get industrial strength for that

I've read that people will use muriatic acid too. Doesn't seem worth it to me though unless I had a lot of it that I wanted to reuse.

You can use bleach, vinegar, or muriatic acid. I would not use a combination of bleach & muriatic acid unless you want to potentially die. I wouldn't expect hydrogen peroxide to do much compared to the other options listed.

Be careful with acids, there is potential to compromise the strength of the rock. Probably not an issue if the rock is dense, but can really mess up fragile pieces.

just dipped a Zoa frag plug with GHA in tank water and hydrogen peroxide 4:1 ratio and it worked...bleach, vinegar will also work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ended up just soaking the rocks in a tub with water n vinegar and a powerhead. I'm guessing I don't have to let it dry too long since I only used vinegar before I start to cycle the rocks.

Back