pest id

Could someone please help me identify this?

P1010914.jpg

Haha yeah def Bristleworm. I would get rid of it if I were you. I can send you a pic of the infestation I have of 12"+ bristleworms. They don't initially Burt anything but when they get serh grosse they are a pain in the butt with your corals. Feed it to a nice smallmouth bass on the river!!!!

good to know that. It's dead now in freshwater. It was hiding underneath a pump before I took the pump out. how can I tell if there are more that are bothering corals?

Bristle worms are scavengers, they eat detritus, dead fish and dead coral. A valuable asset to have in our reef tanks. They will eat dead coral, many see this and think they are to blame for the loss of the coral. The same goes for fish. Their just cleaning up, and they are very effective and fast in this task.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15487574#post15487574 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ILoveReefer
Bristle worms are scavengers, they eat detritus, dead fish and dead coral. A valuable asset to have in our reef tanks. They will eat dead coral, many see this and think they are to blame for the loss of the coral. The same goes for fish. Their just cleaning up, and they are very effective and fast in this task.

I agree with Reefer I consider this little guy to be helpful with the circle of life in the reef. Although if allowed to grow they can get very large and destructive. I keep mine under control with fish that like bristleworm for a snack.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15487574#post15487574 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ILoveReefer

I have to concur. And the odds are good that you said it better then I would have.

I wouldn't want a tank without bristle worms.

Back