Petco Rescue. Oh the humanity!!!!!!

I agree with dhodorow in some parts about the boycot. See I work there and I have fish of my own and never had the problem that they have. I work at one thats in so cal, and i've tried to work on the system they have, except this peticular one has the commercial bio-wheel system. I'm suprise they even had saltwater before. Except due to their losses they took that away and now they only have freshwater, but thats not even doing so great. A new order of fish arrives every wednesday, and about three days later, half of them are dead. I've tried talking to the GM about that, but all he cares about is filling up the tanks with fish. So listen to our advise, don't even bother with getting any fish from petco. WHY? they just want to make a buck and not care about our hobby.

yes the minimum presentation policy is extremely dumb... considering not all fish do well in a certain water or just don't acclimate well into the system. Every week we get at least 12 chinese algae eaters in and 11 out of 12 die, but we've got to keep ordering them or our manager will get fired or written up for not having minimum presentation same with irridescent sharks and fancy male guppies. It's not the managers fault either since they are just doing what they are told.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12179857#post12179857 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by grNiger
I agree with dhodorow in some parts about the boycot. See I work there and I have fish of my own and never had the problem that they have. I work at one thats in so cal, and i've tried to work on the system they have, except this peticular one has the commercial bio-wheel system. I'm suprise they even had saltwater before. Except due to their losses they took that away and now they only have freshwater, but thats not even doing so great. A new order of fish arrives every wednesday, and about three days later, half of them are dead. I've tried talking to the GM about that, but all he cares about is filling up the tanks with fish. So listen to our advise, don't even bother with getting any fish from petco. WHY? they just want to make a buck and not care about our hobby.

very well said.

im the fish guy in the cherry hill petco NJ and Fishfirst is totally right. i do my best but they are always pulling me out of the fish section to reset this aisle, ring cashier, or put stock away. and ofcourse no one fills in if im not there. i feel bad taking vacation because i know when i come bck i will have twice as much work as i when i left.

now i have bought stuff from petco, course only mine because i know everthing is ok, and all inhabitants that i bought are sill alive, asides from those that got eaten by my lionfish before i went reef.

Petco dosent really care. i say "dont order anything this week, my tanks are full." my manager says we have to, we cant just not order. so i say get live rock we have a big almost empty tank for it. course they order none and instead order 2 triggers, 3 tangs, a bunch of damsels, an anemone or 2, and some clowns.

o how fun it is to work for a company who completely disregardes what their animal speicalists say.

we get so many anemones in all the time but only about 1% of my customer base has the know how and the equipment to keep them. They get sold... but always when I'm not there :mad2:

i usually have control of what we get, but if i didnt order to budget, they add stuff on that i dont need, nor have the room for. i always wonder if the RCAC's know anything other than what Petco tells them to know. i asked mine what the proper calcium level in a reef tank would be, she kinda looked at me weird and changed the subject.

lol corals need calcium??? NAH! I was told by our RCAC that our invert tank needs to be at 1.017-1.019 because it helps with parasites. I told her that we'd lose our anemones and corals and other inverts if we did that. She said it was "less hassle if we don't have to worry about parasites" and I said that it doesn't matter what salinity you have... unless it is 1.010 or lower ich and other parasites can still be a big problem... I even pointed out some ich on our main system and had her check the salinity - 1.017 she denied that I was right and told me to do a "few freshwater dips on the fish and it'll be alright to sell" I said that it was not okay to sell the entire stock of fish on the same system as the one with ich because they probably all have it... she told me to do some water changes and eveything will be healthy. HAH

Petco does love its freshwater dips.
the other week i got quarantine kits for our system. blocks the one tank off and uses a powerhead w/ sponge to keep the water aerated. it actually works pretty well. i keep the salinity at regular level, usually 1.022-1.024.

I have actually saved a few fish from my local Petco as well. I agree though that buying from them is just an encouragement.

On a brighter note. I have found that if you nail down their shipping schedule you can get livestock before introduced to their tanks. Still defeats the boycott idea.

How's the nem Navy?

how about every sign a letter that says... take of the life you sell or only sell the goods... other wise... we are the customers and will boycott... just a thought...

By the way... We are in idaho... and our PetCo is a Death trap for life too... but hell they only cost more then our loacl pet store anyways... even for the bulk items... sad

Back