ph control w/kalk

jjoos99

I am experiencing lower ph and was thinking of getting a kalk reactor and dosing kalk using a ph controller to maintain a 8.2 ph. I was just wondering if anyone else is doing this or has tried it. My daytime ph high yesterday was only 8.05. I have my skimmer intake with outside air. I am using a ca reactor which isnt helping. It helps to crack open the window but with it being winter that isnt much of an option. Im getting next to no growth in my sps and am experiencing some stn from the base of several corals. I am thinking all of this might be attributed to low ph.
thanks
Jeff

8.05 isn't terribly low and likely not the cause of your problems. Sometimes chasing numbers can cause more problems than just keeping thing stable.

8.05 isn't terribly low and likely not the cause of your problems. Sometimes chasing numbers can cause more problems than just keeping thing stable.

I could live with that number if it was the same all night long but it is dropping into the 7.7 range at night and the stn I am seeing happens overnight.
jeff

I run a kalk reactor. I wouldn't chase ph, I would just setup the reactor and run it connected to the ato. I would make sure you have a dual float switch and a high quality dosing pump for the ato if running kalk.

It will bring the ph up.

i would use kalk in your top off, but don't try to use a ph controller for this. Ph is never a constant number it always moves a little bit. Most tanks the ph drops when the lights turn off. Get outside air to your skimmer if your house is new and sealed up, but the kalk will work,, you can test it with mixing it up by hand , the kalk reactor is a good way to dose it long term/

Back