PH keeps creeping up?

CritterCraZy

Short explanation is the ph keeps creeping up on my 210g reef. Ive been adding bottled seltzer water to bump ph down but it keeps creeping up. I was out of state for a while and so the care taker fed them but thats it. Maintenance was being neglected. But ive been back 2 weeks and havent been able to correct the issue. Have lost 2 groups of hammer/torch and 3 clams. Hair algea was over taking everything even though phosphates tested very low. Dkh was over 12 calcium was 400. PH was at 8.9. Todays seltzer water got it to 8.4. Been removing as much hair algea as possible but is intermingled in corals. Tank is also over run by green button polyps.
Things that are doing well still, large green carpet anemone, gorgonians, large open green brain, duresa clam, star polyps, fire zoas, daisy pipe, no fish have seemed affected yet. Ive done 60g of water change in past week. Aslo been battling a red alge that only forms on bed sand. Bed sand is fine carribean white from marco, also have a astria star problem that i mistaken as sand sifter stars. Thanx in advance for any help. Tank been up 2 years in january.

Reef crystal salts, 30g sump with higher algea , reef octo on large skimmer, 3ft lifegaurd sterilizer, mp60 on reef crest, 2 little fish reactor with npx bioplastics, koralin calc reactor with co2 injection, 3 250w xm 20k with 2 t5 actinic 2 t5 coral plus, 1 overflow on back.

c4ecbe6f15097a3e3ecfb0270d2c9e19.jpg

Reduce your photoperiod and maybe accompany that with vinegar dosing. Vinegar will directly impact the PH issue but carefully done might also help with nutrients in the water and perhaps alleviate the algae problem. However, please do it carefully. Read threads on carbon dosing. The photoperiod will also help with the algae and will also reduce the photosynthesis time during the day, reducing the output of oxygen and therefore helping indirectly with the PH situation.

I have notice when I tested for PH, there was a different result during different times of the day. For example, a 8am test would result in 8.0, a noon test would result in 8.2 and a test at 6pm would result at 8.3. So my LFS told me to test at the time everyday to get a consistent level. He said it had something to do with the lights and stuff. Who knows? I currently test everything at the same time of the day.

Back