Ph too low

shyland83

So today was a monumental day for me. I tested my water and my Ammonia, Nitrates, and nitrates were all Zero. And my PH is about 8.4. I live in an apartment and the room i have the tank in has no windows and is very stuffy. I haven't been able to get the ph above 7.8 since i set up the tank 6 months ago. I attribute my sudden success to my windows in the other room being open and the fan in the door. Is it possible that the fresh air is really what raised my ph? and if so how do i keep it up when it gets hot and i have to turn on the ac and close them again?

-Scott

that is a big jump but yes it is possible.if you can run a tube from your skimmers air input to the out side that will help

yeah the problem is it's a good 40 feet to the nearest window, so unless i drill a hole in a brick wall or in a skylight it's not gonna happen.(skylights dont open) Oh well, the tank is going to my house in NY in a month or 2 i'll just hope it stays up till then. thanks for the input

Not sure that's the whole answer to your problem. I've had many tanks in different apartments as well and in the winter they're pretty much shut tight.
Some in rooms with natural light, some in rooms with only evening electrical light. Same with windows also.
Unless you live in a one room apartment and it's ultra-thermally sealed, as long as you can breathe the tank should be getting enough air.
If by chance it is that tight (which I can't see happening) a simple solution would be to just run a regular fan in the same room. That will get you enough air exchange even with things closed up to help and get you the same effect (if that's what it is).

thanks for all the input. At this point my ph has been good and i'm gonna stop asking why and just be thankful.

Back