phytoplankton on up breeding and feeding, Copper concerns.

Drakon

Hopefully this is an acceptable location to post as I seen a few other threads regarding breeding for food. I had been doing research on food propagation starting all the way down to phytoplankton but I've read a bit about the concerns of how people using mirical grow plant food are introducing copper that would evenly make its way to tanks where copper buildup would be a disaster. Is this a valid concern with this level of copper in some phytoplankton food? Another location said the copper was necessary for photosynthesis I think it was a part of chlorophyll if I remember correctly.

With all that being said could one say prepare all his various foods and then in a "final stage" tank bring them together and run the water through a reactor with something like this to filter out the copper before introducing the food to the tanks?

edit :HAHA breeding* everywhere is needed. I love auto correct :headwalls:

Last edited:
I cannot speak for Miracle Grow as its designed to meet terrestrial plant needs, not aquatic.

With phytoplankton and the use of a proper F/2 mix, if you harvest at the peak density, the media will not be so much a problem, but if you feed enough, it could be.

Using the Seachem product is much more costly then buying the proper nutrients and doing it right in the first place.

What do you plan on growing?

I have a Black Saddleback clownfish pair that I'd like to "eventually" see spawn, and some skunk shrimp. From my understanding both are difficult and if I'm correct the shrimp are almost impossible. I figure the best course of action before trying these or anything else in particular is to figure out if I have the ability to even produce food consistently. And I'm sure my tank would be better served with live food so I at least have a place for it to go while I learn. I'm looking long term so probably a few years out for breading he fish but got to start somewhere. I've only had a SW tank about 6 months so I still have much to learn.

Edit: is this the f/2 you spoke of?

Last edited:
That is a F/2 for non diatoms... if you want to grow diatoms, get the one with silicates.

Cleaner shrimp aren't impossible, it just takes a lot of time, and dedication. They're pelagic larval stage is rather long.

Culturing phyto is pretty different then larval-culture. If you really want to dabble in something that is a bit closer related, try culturing rotifers or copepods. You'll need one of the other for doing any larval-culture. I suggest starting with either of those.

For transparency's sake, I work at the worlds largest producer of marine phytoplankton concentrates and live zooplankton.

Back