Pictures - 800 gallon reef - 7+ years in operation

Yes my reef aquariums are still functioning, alive and well (after all of these years).
I must admit that I have not paid very much attention to my reef aquariums for quite some time now as they appear to be reasonably stable and well.

As we are in the middle of certain significant home renovations, I think that it may now be time for some equipment upgrades both to the large reef and to a smaller 225 gallon reef (that has now been in operation continuously for nearly 20 years).

First focus will be on lighting....
As readers that have reviewed this thread are likely aware from past posts and pictures, the large reef is currently lit by 6 metal halide bulbs; 3 x 1,000 watt (7,000K) and 3 x 400 watt (20,000K.
The 225 is, in turn, lit by 3 metal halide bulbs (1x400 watt & 2x250).

Given advances in lighting technology over the past few years, I am strongly considering LED fixtures and would appreciate comments, suggestions and observations on companies and requirements....

Thank you for posting an update to your tank. It is great to see both tanks are going strong through a hands off approach.

Do you have any pictures etc. on the smaller 225?

Congratulations on 20 years of continous operation. That is quite a feat in itself!! I was thinking of looking into the led options myself, so I cant wait to see the input and suggestions on here.

And again CONGRATULATIONS ! I don't think I'd ever leave the basement if I had that downstairs !!!!

I switched out my 8 400 watt MH, 8 54 watt HO T5 actincs for 8 Radions and im very pleased with the results. INHO, I would change them for the Radion Pro series LEDS. You will love the program ability of the LEDS, No Heat, Less power consumption not that that really matters to tanks our size but ther4e is a major savings. You should look in to it.

I have a 400 gallon tank that I have been running 4 400 Watt Radiums. I recently purchased a GLH Mitras LED fixture. Although I only have one fixture and 3 halides, the blend is perfect and completely programmable. In fact you can program the spectrum of any bulb if you choose. The cost is really very very expensive and given the size of your tank, you and I would need to combine orders for some serious purchasing power. If you would be ok dropping 10K on lighting, then IMO, the flexibility in color rendition can't be outdone. THe biggest limitation of ALL LED lighting is depth penetration. You could get rid of your 400 watt MH and blend in a few of the Mitras fixtures and your eyes really could never tell the difference, but the real issue is the needs of your corals. If you have more softies, you will be fine, but then again, why would you be running 1000 watt bulbs for corals like that. No LED can come close to putting out that kind of energy at this point in time, but when they can and do, you will save a billion kilowatts and dead dinosaurs. Anyway the Radions, Mitras and AI vega are the ONLY fixtures that I would even consider. I think I would try a piecemeal approach before you do anything. Best wishes!

Just spent the last hour taking a trip back in time reading this thread. Being in the hobby a short few years, its interesting to see the mindset of reefing back 10 years ago, compared to today. The history of this tank is amazing and there is a lot to be learned from how this system has evolved and what has keep it thriving for so long. I would love to see an update. I am subscribing to this thread. Excellent System.

A very impressive and harmonious system.
Nowadays it's very nice to see a project that lasts for years. Rare thing.
Congratulations!

The Power outage in ontario wreaked some havoc, were restocking his fish now, Multiple Tanks but Purple Tang Helfrich Fire Fish and other beauties are in his tanks again

The Power outage in ontario wreaked some havoc, were restocking his fish now, Multiple Tanks but Purple Tang Helfrich Fire Fish and other beauties are in his tanks again

You're saying you're working on hcrk's tanks?
Pics???

I sell fish.. Ive never seen his tank in person. I couldnt get him to buy any moyers dragonets tho :p says they dont live the long life hes looking for

23 Years of Continuous Operation!

23 Years of Continuous Operation!

Well folks, would you believe that this aquarium has now been in continuous operation for 23 years now (that is since 1997).
I've spent quite some time & effort over that past year or so upgrading this tank and will shortly be posting pictures of how it looks now.
Wondering whether there is anyone out there who actually remembers this thread started in 2003

Wow, that's great to hear! Talk about commitment, kudos to you! I remember this thread when it started and I enjoyed watching the progress. Looking forward to your posts!

Back