Plans for a 100 gallon pentagon corner tank?

MASSDISCUSLOVER

Hello everyone, new to the site and a little bit overwhelmed by the content. I recently purchased a 100 gallon acrylic pentagon tank and have roughed out the numbers to build something skinned in 3/4" plywood like shown in the picture below. Before I went "all-in", I thought I would see if others knew of any standard plans I could utilize/obtain and any other suggestions folks might have. Thanks in advance!

Pentagon Stand.jpg
1699616128437.png

That stand in the picture is built well especially if it is skinned.

Putting lumber vertical between the top and bottom beams takes the weight off screws. You can see this in picture 1.
That beam needs to be in-between like in the picture.

Pentagon Stand2.jpg

But just putting vertical supports does not stop it from falling forward, back or to the sides. What people forget about is the weight is not just straight down. If you look closely there are some vertical supports tied to the other vertical supports in the corners that run higher and lower on the inside. this prevent it from going sideways.
Skinning if done right can also do this. Now allot of people skin with plywood and they do not spend on marine grade plywood or even good plywood and regular plywood does not do to well when wet. So I do the same thing this guy does in the corners (see below). Marine grade is to expensive.

Do not hesitate to ask questions. I have been busy. I was going to draw something that showed better what I am talking about but I am at work.

Pentagon Stand.jpg

Last edited:
Your design is good. (if not overkill, which is good). Skinning will only add to the strength, but IMO, not really needed in this case.
I would put 1/2" plywood on the very bottom also, (Spread the even more evenly, especially if you have wood floors). If you do skin, I would skin 1/4" with magnets to hold.....so you can remove the panels as needed..

Back