Please help indentify this creature

starjtj

This creature appeared on the glass today. It appears to be some sort of worm. The head looks like it has some tentatcles that stick out and the body is looks frilly, kind of like green star polyps growing on the worm. Any ideas? We do not know if it safe or not. Pic is attached.

Thanks!

Attachments

• worm pic.jpg
    worm pic.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 1
it is a nudibranch. most of them are predatory on corals. I would siphon them out and be on the lookout for more.

It is some sort of seaslug, but without a clearer photo, it is going to be difficult to further narrow the ID.

that is a nudibranch like mentioned above and i would remove it from your tank. most like to eat things in your reef. there are some out there that are reef safe but without a better picture it would be hard to tell what kind it is.

but from that picture it looks like the nudis i would take off of zoanthids and those were bad news for zoas.

There are two types of Nudibranchs. Really beautiful ones that feed on something mysterious and unidentified that you can't possibly hope to keep alive and the ones that are eating all of your corals. I don't know of any Nudis that are not carnivorous.

Nudis are also tough to identify. The one you show generally resembles a Berghia which is nice to have since Berghia eats Aiptasia. But i'd still pull it out untill I could make a proper ID.

I looked up Berghia nudis and it looks exactly like all the pics I've seen. Everything I read says that they only eat aptaisia. I guess I'll let him survive. Thanks for the help.

I looked up Berghia nudis and it looks exactly like all the pics I've seen. Everything I read says that they only eat aptaisia. I guess I'll let him survive. Thanks for the help.

You should also look up zoanthid eating nudi and compare. If you have zoa's then you may want to look under them to check for egg strands and hidden nudis. It would be unusual for a Berghia to hitchhike in.

The picture makes it a little difficult to ID - but i've had the coral eating zoos and I currently raise berghia.. it looks like the coral eating (thicker tuffs). definitely not berghia.

Back