Please help New to Saltwater and building new tank/stand everything

Ok you guys are great! Thanks for all the info and I feel so much better now choosing the Aquarium Masters :)

I was contacted this morning by the guy in the below offerup ad and he wants to sell the tank and cabinet along with everything else for $250. It's acrylic though and even though it's nice and clear I think glass is the way to go.

Here is the ad: https://offerup.com/item/detail/515991450/

Ok so as my mind overflows with new info and knowledge I keep coming up with questions so I apologize .....

Regarding side drilled holes for overflows here are my overflow box choices and I'd like to use the Bean Animal overflow method.

1.) Eshopps Eclipse Large @ 16" that does 1000 gph

2.) Shadow Overflow 16" which is 2500 gph

3.) Ghost Overflow @ 18" which does 2000 gph

I guess my next question is since I'm only drilling on one side of the tank and I have an 18" width to work for can I still wo with the 18" Ghost overflow or only the 16" boxes? My other question is where do I put the returns if the boxes are in the way or how would I pipe them in and how large do those holes need to be?

Thanks!

Ok so as my mind overflows with new info and knowledge I keep coming up with questions so I apologize .....

Regarding side drilled holes for overflows here are my overflow box choices and I'd like to use the Bean Animal overflow method.

1.) Eshopps Eclipse Large @ 16" that does 1000 gph

2.) Shadow Overflow 16" which is 2500 gph

3.) Ghost Overflow @ 18" which does 2000 gph

I guess my next question is since I'm only drilling on one side of the tank and I have an 18" width to work for can I still wo with the 18" Ghost overflow or only the 16" boxes? My other question is where do I put the returns if the boxes are in the way or how would I pipe them in and how large do those holes need to be?

Thanks!

Because you also need to have the return on that end of the tank, I would go with one of the 16" versions. You want to leave a MINIMUM 1'" between the edge of the glass and your hole for the return, 2" would be prefered, but it doesn't sound like that would be an option.

It sounds like a better option might be to custom build an overflow box. You can do this with either glass or acrylic. You should be able to find a TON of info on building an oveflow box. Its pretty straight forward really. I would build it about 12-13" to leave room for the return. The overflow would just need to be two sides and a bottom, which would then be siliconed to the tank. You would drill the three drain holes in the tank behind the overflow, and the return line to the side, up high to reduce the water siphones through it when power goes out. I recommend 1" for the drains and 3/4" for the return. Just make sure the box is large enough for you to fit all three drains in and is easy for you to access.

Ok so I only need 1 return? I thought I needed 2? Also what size pipe for both the overflow and Return? I want to maximize return flow rate so would 1" pipe be to big or can I do 1.5"?

Will the return sit above the overflo box line meaning will I drill the hole higher up or at the same level as the overflow holes?

Thanks!

Is 1 return ok? Also to me it doesn't make much sense for cleaned return water being pumped right back in next to the overflow box. It seems like that return water would get sucked right back in? Is this a valid concern?

Thanks,

Ok so I only need 1 return? I thought I needed 2? Also what size pipe for both the overflow and Return? I want to maximize return flow rate so would 1" pipe be to big or can I do 1.5"?

Will the return sit above the overflo box line meaning will I drill the hole higher up or at the same level as the overflow holes?

Thanks!
You just need one box for your return or trash water. 1 nozzle as you spit or fill nozzle. Over flow is usually just called overflow. It refers to the water leaving the tank. Return is the fill back in your tank line. It can get confusing because they both return. Some options on that is loc-line https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pumps-plumbing/plumbing/loc-line.html

You can go over the side with them too so you don't have to drill another hole for it.

Is 1 return ok? Also to me it doesn't make much sense for cleaned return water being pumped right back in next to the overflow box. It seems like that return water would get sucked right back in? Is this a valid concern?

Thanks,
One is more than enough. With your clean water coming into the tank it pushes water to the other end sending the trash water to the over flow. Like a whirlpool.. It wont go out and come right back to the over flow like you think.

Thanks!
They to keep the clean return nozzle as high as possible with out it spraying water every where. MAKE SURE it has a siphon break on it.

Ya so I'm talking about the fill back that puts the water back into the tank. I know I could go over but really didn't want to as I want it to be as clean as possible you know.

Man there is so much to learn and so much $$$ to spend it's kind of intimidating!!!

Your doing good. You have a great start. Look up loc line most if not all use them. Nozzles to flex tubes.

Back