Plugging a hole in water barrel

newsalt

I have a fresh salt water mixing barrel that has a Kent Float switch installed. I want to move the switch up higher so I can put more water in the barrel. How can I plug the hole in the barrel where the float switch is currently installed? Is there a plug that can be bought to put there? Do I fill it in with silicone? Any advice?

Thanks

I would expand the hole to fit a small bulkhead, or use a nylon nut and bolt with o-rings, then silicone over the bolt.

The main thing is that I would want some sort of mechanical plug, not just sealant that could dry up or be knocked out.

get a emergency freeze plug plug for a car at the auto parts store there rubber and they might have that size and there easy to use crank the bolt down and it expands in the hole

1. Increase the hole size to fit 3/4" bulkhead and seal it up.

2. Increase it to fit a 3/4" uniseal and plug it with capped pvc pipe.

3. If you can find a nylon nut and bolt assembly that size then it might work. You can make your own gasket for it with material they sell at Home Depot.

4. Try looking where all the JG fittings are at Home Depot. You might be able to get a JG fitting rigged into the hole and then cap that.

5/8" is rather large for a nylon bolt, I don't think you'll find it at Home Depot or Lowes. The bulkhead idea will probably the safest and it's rather cheap.

Shoot, you can add another bulkhead at the bottom, a Mag 5 or 7 pump, a PVC pipe between the bulkheads and you can have your own mixing barrel, sweet!

Haywood may have the best idea yet.

I have a 55 gal drum that is set up this way. A mag 12 on a closed loop system with air injector for aeration. A turn of a valve and water is pumped out of the drum and into the sump for easy water changes as well. The mag 12 provides more than enough heat that I don't have to heat the water as well. In fact, I have to cycle the pump on and off to keep the water temp of the mixing station close to tank temp.

for about 3$ you can make a bulkhead from pvc electrical fittings then cap it. it will work fine on a barrel. i have one on each of mine for the drains and its never leaked.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12888883#post12888883 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kinghokus420
for about 3$ you can make a bulkhead from pvc electrical fittings then cap it. it will work fine on a barrel. i have one on each of mine for the drains and its never leaked.
Do you have a picture to show me how you did it?

DSCN3241.jpg

i goobered some silicone around the threads and cranked em down tight. make sure its the grey electrical fittings, the white ones dont have a flat sealing surface. its much better if the hole youre fixing is the same size as the fittings. you almost want to screw the male fitting into the side. it will give more sealing surface. i have heard of some people using o-rings to get a seal but i didnt have any, so silicone it was..

You can get small John Quest bulkheads. Then just seal it. Or you could add a second one and some clear tubing to make a water level guage.

Back