Plumbing assistance needed!

tiffyreefer

I am setting up a 125 softie reef and I need some quick advice on which option would be best and if I should try to get the larger drain to fit.

My opinion on sump flow is that slower flow is more desirable for skimming purposes. I will use MP40s for tank flow instead of relying on sump turnover.

Option 1: 1.5 inch bulkhead reduced to a 1 inch pipe, (my working space is a bit restricted once I get into the basement with the pipe) and a one inch return. Instead of an emergency drain, I will use a bulkhead low profile screen.

Option 2: 1.5inch drain (probably oversized and hard to wiggle in the rafters)1 inch return, both plumbed through the glass.

I have a little giant pump rated at 1500 gpm (9 ft of head, 20 foot horizontal run.

Should I try to make a 1.5 inch drain work or will I be fine with the 1 inch reduced pipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does your tank already have an "overflow" (reef ready tank) or what?
Not clear on what you plan to do if the single return pipe gets clogged..
How concerned are you with noise?
Planning on valving the return line to adjust flowrate?

Personally.. I won't ever put any overflow/drain piping on a tank that is not a bean animal setup. (with as much of a coast-coast overflow as you can fit)
http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx
I'd never do a "herbie or durso or stockman" setup by itself.. And a HOB overflow is certainly out of the question..
There are MANY tanks that do just fine with those but for me.. The bit more work is WELL worth it.. I sleep like a baby at night knowing I will never wake up to a flooded floor or have to listen to an annoying "gurgling" sound all day long,etc...

My tank isn't drilled yet, I am drilling it tonight. So a bean animal is the way to go??

Drilling tonight or this long weekend ahead, the only reservation I have this method is drilling three holes in the tank. That's three opportunities to crack the tank haha

Back