Plumbing question...

BrokenReefer

So I've decided to add an overflow (do not want to drill my tank) to my tank and put 20 gallon sump/fuge with it...

What, or where even, would be a good place to start seeing different plumbing designs? I've been looking around RC and haven't really seen any that were too helpful, given that I'm looking to incorporate an HOB overflow.

Just kinda wondering what the best method would be to use this.

Would it be ideal to have the overflow drain down into the Skimmer section of the sump, then have all the water flow through the fuge, out to the return lines?

whats what i would do, that way you will have less microbubbles. you should also look into making a bubble trap. look at some sumps with refugiums online to get a better idea.

I've been looking at melev's site for a few days now, and I have the plans for a super simple sump down. Just need to get the acrylic cut this week and I'll begin that little project.

Since I'll be using the HOB, would you also consider including a closed loop for additional flow?

Oh, my tank is a 46 gallon bow front, been up and running for one year now. So it's not a very mature tank but everything has been in there for 8-9 months now.

Is it an acrylic sump, or a glass 20 gallon? Several people say that acrylic does not glue well to glass for a sump. If you want glass, Pet Supplies Plus has a sale on 20 gal tanks this month.

It's Glass, and I read the same thing - so now I'm going to call Carlson's in Wheaton and see if they can't cut me a few pieces of glass for this little ditty.

I just wonder about a few things:

1) If I used a pump that was rated for 600 GPH in conjunction with a CPR overflow that was rated for 1000 gph - would there be any issues as far as overflows go?

2) If I only used 1 output, return to the tank, will that be good or should I split the return to lessen the force of the flow in the tank?

I am also considering a closed-loop, would that be too much for a 46 bow to handle?

you'll be fine as long as your pump doesn't overrun your overflow. no problem in your case. as a matter of fact, after taking into account static head pressure, you may want to go up to about 1000GPH. the pump you have will be fine tho.

I have seen (or heard of) tanks having 40-50X turnover. I actually heard one guy saying he had over 150X turnover in his tank. in your case, that would be 69,000 GPH. I don't think a closed loop will hurt your inhabitants, depending on their individual flow requirements :)

I called them too and they wanted about $9 each. Call around to ACE, see if they have beveled/ground edges, and ask for the thicker shelf glass if you want to spend a few more bucks. It might be tempered, it is thicker. I got mine at a place in Elmhurst for about $5.

not too bad, 6.50 a piece - all polished edges. Only ding is 2 weeks to get 'em done. No biggie since this isn't ready to go in. Only thing I have is the tank for the sump - lol.

Hey Pasion I have a hang on the back overflow if ya want it. its a single that will handle about 650gph its $20 and I live in Wheaton

phil5613, I don't need it, but I am curious about whether is has a single U-tube or two smaller ones. I have been reading up and I see several people recommending two smaller tubes instead of 1 larger tube. Mine has a monster tube, maybe 1.25 or 1.375" diameter. I was considering getting smaller rigid tubes and bending some new ones myself.

just buy another U tube. place it in the box and start the siphon. no need to get fancy. just some redundancy for safety.

SOLD! Lol, phil5613, would you mind posting a picture or if you purchased it from somewhere a link to what kind it is.

Thank you!

I use acrylic pieces in my sump with silicon, and it seems to be holding up just fine. I also know of a few other that use acrylic with silicon with no problems either. Just a thought, it might save you a couple bucks.

Sorry I lost this post let me look for a pick and I will post it in a minute Yes its a single 1.25 u tube and I mad a durso for it but can convert it back either way its easy enough.

Pasion just let me know when you want it and its yours

Plexi glass -> silicon -> glass

Its not the best bond, but if your doing a smaller sump like a 20L you'll have no problem... nice thing working with plexi glass is you can just score it and snap it to the size you want.

overflow

overflow

114491overflow.JPG

114491overflow2.JPG

Here it is. A couple of things its never seen water so no worries about chemicals. I am including the coupler and the hose barb for vinyl tubing That didn't come with but gives you two options either vinyl or get a different coupler ( I probably have one for you if I look) and you can go hard plumbed. With the exception of the small piece of pipe coming out of the bottom of the bulkhead and the airvalve on top of the 90 none of the fittings for the PVC are glued so any changes can be made to fit your needs. I can also glue them if you want.

I can help you with your sump build if you like also.

I bought a couple small 12" x 12" squares of glass at Home Depot for about $2 each. I used one of those glass scoring devices, and then snapped it clean, taking off about 1/2" from one side. Took a dremel with a grinding drum tip on it and ground down all the exposed edges smooth in about 15 seconds. Anyone with a sump with sharp glass pieces in it should give that a try.

Back