Polyp extension question

tom obrecht

I currently run a full sps system and see pictures of displays where the polyp extension on the corals is so great it makes them look fuzzy. I'm curious what people feel is the " secret" to get corals to that point?

I find that when you get on a good coral feeding regimen and have stable numbers PE comes around. Pests also keep corals from showing PE.

Some people turn the lights on just before shooting in the middle of the night so the polyps are in feeding mode and expanded twice as big.

Ive noticed that when I start getting lazy with the nutrient export and the tank starts to get a little dingy the PE is high...for me at least it is a sign of my water too clean at times.

c65242d98772daf6aa69c7c26ab3411f.jpg
my acros ( this is a icefire ) show polyps all day like the night..my secret is only a constant but low lever of food and organic matter.. Before when i used zeovit have no pe in the day.. But tank is very ulns..

So I've been trying hard to keep phosphates very low and doing weekly water changes to keep the water quality very clean. Perhaps too clean from the sounds of it. I do dose acropower almost daily (small amounts) and feed the fish a few times aday. I'm not convinced my phosphates are a true zero for I did have some algae on the back glass and some cyano that I attributed to larger daily dosings of acropower. I run gfo and carbon continuously and alternate replacing those weekly. I noticed this morning that PE was better than during the night but no where near some pics I have seen on this thread. Wondering if PE is a tank to tank thing or a sign of happy/healthy coral?

Back