Possible New Bans on Corals, Look out

wii64brawl

An update came out last month on Aug. 9th, I didn't see it till today.

"NOAA Fisheries has proposed to list 66 coral species under the Endangered Species Act (ESA)--54 as "threatened" and 12 as "endangered." In addition, NOAA Fisheries proposed to reclassify two Caribbean species [elkhorn (Acropora palmata) and staghorn (A. cervicornis) corals] from threatened to endangered.

This is important for those of you who own these corals: http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/stories/201...sed_corals.pdf

The section most relevant to us is:
http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/permits/corals.htm
What about nurseries, grow-out facilities, aquariums, zoos, and corals in captivity?

Maintenance and asexual propagation of endangered corals in a nursery would not require a permit. Additional activities such as experiments, transfer, or outplanting of captive animals will require a permit. Import or export may be authorized under a permit only for research or enhancement purposes.

An ESA permit cannot be issued to import, export, or take listed species for the purpose of public display. Public display may occur if it is incidental to a permitted scientific research or enhancement activity or if the specimens were legally held in captivity at the time of listing. Selling, receiving, transporting, or shipping listed species in interstate or foreign commerce is prohibited, even if the specimens were legally held in captivity at the time of listing.

For corals currently maintained, it is your responsibility to demonstrate that the animals were already in captivity before the final listing decision. Please contact us at 301-427-8401 for information on this process."

The problem is many of these corals can only be told apart through DNA analysis, making this a very touchy area. My advice is to take pictures of any corals that might be one of the listed species and post them online before November 30, when the final decision comes out. That way, you'll have dated proof of purchase before 11/30.

This was announced earlier this year. At MACNA this year, Julian Sprung talked about how misguided this proposed legislation is, and how it is not based on sound science, or even updated information. J.E.N. Veron (author of Corals of the World) is planning to publish a significant amount of data to rebut this legislation before the 11/30 deadline, so it will be interesting to see how this all pans out.

The worst part is that many of the corals listed are common in the hobby, unlike endangered corals in previous years. They never took into account how this could screw us all. Technically, we aren't even allowed to frag the corals since that would be, in the law's eyes, harming them. And when we break down tanks? Do we have to get a permit to give it to someone else? Very flawed proposal.

The worst part is that many of the corals listed are common in the hobby, unlike endangered corals in previous years. They never took into account how this could screw us all. Technically, we aren't even allowed to frag the corals since that would be, in the law's eyes, harming them. And when we break down tanks? Do we have to get a permit to give it to someone else? Very flawed proposal.

Even more ridiculous is the fact that many coral species are difficult to identify, even by experts. How would a NOAA official with no knowledge of coral species be able to tell the difference between banned and legal species?

I have had to tell a wildlife inspector during an exam that the reason why some corals are not attached to a piece of rock is because they have a skeleton. Some of them have no idea what the difference is between soft & stony corals or what LPS or SPS means. I think it would be quite interesting how this would be enforced by individuals that barely have enough knowledge to do their job.

Oh don't get me started on govt $ lol

all hype. this (similar scary legislation proposals) was posted in 2010, then nothing happened. same here again, always. not the original posters fault at all he didn't know. these bills w be proposed, then fail, over and over. who cares if HI banned the taking of tangs we shouldnt have been doing that anyway :)

Maintenance and asexual propagation of endangered corals in a nursery would not require a permit.

Would fragging these corals in our tanks be counted as asexual propagation in a nursery?

Also, even if this is enacted, how would this be enforced?

Until the one time a bill does pass. You can't live in the past. One WILL get passed eventually, just a matter of time.

we are def heading towards a mass regulation society no doubt. back alley night time trading of SPS w be like shady drug deals lol

text:

hey man I need a twenty twin twin of that finest red poci you got the hook up or what

Lol. That was what I said on a petition against the Hawaii bans a while ago. It'll be like the Prohibition all over again.

I wouldn't just dismiss this as it will never happen. Anything's possible.
Enforcement and proper identification will be next to impossible.

How many coral.have been purchased with the scientific name ?
How many were bought as blue/green acrpora ?

None the less, I can't say for sure but most of the coral listed as endangered probably haven't been seen in the hobby for some time. As for the threatened, that's another story.

Acroporas must be broken down to the species for Fish & Wildlife when they are imported so I could see it happening but are they able to identify the difference between the species is the real question.

I could see something happening with this but there needs to be an exception if these corals are currently being farmed.

I guess I'll wait until the ESA police knock on my door to confiscate my corals before I hit the panic button. Somehow, I don't think that day is coming anytime soon.

we are def heading towards a mass regulation society no doubt. back alley night time trading of SPS w be like shady drug deals lol

text:

hey man I need a twenty twin twin of that finest red poci you got the hook up or what

hah, priceless man!

Back