Possible SEAS Activities/Events

SoupySteve

Reefer Dadness
OK,
These are a few things I think could be possible with the just the small group of folks we have who went so far as to contibute to the SEAS treasury. With the local buzz that fewell's has generated by opening his business, there's been quite a spike in traffic our little forum here gets - so if we had more people actually paying the $20 yearly dues, I could see some beneficial things we could so with some smart frugal usages of the treasury, etc...

I propose the following 3 activities that would be simple unless over 20 folks showed up at any one time (which I was really impressed with the turn out at the frag swap). I tried to think of events that could be done at my place just because my place is only slightly larger than a postage stamp... so the locale could only improve :bum: So I was thinking of things that could be done relatively inexpensively without taking up HUGE amounts of space that could be done in an afternoon. I think that if we got the 'ol SEAS ball rolling again we should at least consider these options:

One:
SEAS Reef Food and BBQ

I don't know about you all, but BSin' about lighting, PVC, TDS meters, prop tank pros/cons, etc makes me a hungry SOB! So I say that anyone of us who have contributed to the SEAS treasury should get together at another members house on some weekend early afternoon - evening so we can laugh at/praise/anything but smash the host's tank(s). After we tell that person what they could do better with their tank :bum: We can all get the SEAFOOD-ish ingreidients that we brought BYOB-style, toss them in a blender and take home some awesome food for our reefs! Then, we could toss on some dogs or burgers onto a grill and leave with some grub for US as well. The thing is, the more folks who show up, the more food we'll have - so no one will leave without a fair share of the goods!

I was thinking that the host may even be able to make room in their freezer so we could poour our seas into egg crate/waxpaper so we'd have little cubes???

I suggest that the SEAS treasury pays for whatever SUPER cheap foods (dawgs, buns, sodas, tea, chips) we can get to feed 5-10 people and ask others to BYO-side or favorite dish. a couple of "super-yummy" ingreidients to contribute to the concotion. If I remember right, there were oyster eggs or something in one of our previous batches...

TWO:
SEAS MJ Mod Workshop

So, Shaar sez it's so simple, even an O'Reilly employee can do it! :lol: Why not we have the group scrounge up all their MJs, we have the treasury pay for a bunch of the parts we need to modify them... I dunno about you but the prospect of turning 2/3 I found in my garage into things that push like my SEIOs got me excited. I'm sure we all have a couple or could by a couple. How much did shaar say the upgrade cost? If we genertaed enough interest in this, we could have the impellers shipped (maybe even bought in bulk) in advance... ???
With the extra PVC, I was thinking we could have the SEAS keep it or put towards the SEAS potable frag tank ver2.0 (for those who remember version 1) The group had this cool 15g(?) tank that RedSeaPurpleTang had made that had pvc running in/out with a pump so we could hook up to anyone's display or sump during our get togethers... Some loser put his size 11.5 in the wrong place though - and busted it after a handful of uses... that person will remain anonymous :guilty: The portable tank would be good for future meetings...

THREE:
SEAS Coral Buy/Frag/Mount Meet
As a group of contributing members, we decide on a LARGE order of large frags so we can cut 'em, frag 'em, mount 'em - I know it may take a lot of bickering - but I bet we could all look at one particlar WYSIWYG style online vendor and get some great LARGE / COLORFUL peices and have a great workshop where no one leaves without some particularly niice corals. The treasury could buy the frag plugs and other supplies needed - as well as the corals.

Other ideas may be DIY moonlight workshop, plumbing workshops, "pimp-my-reef" drawings: Attending members draw for whose display gets an upgrade of $100 value at next meeting through a workshop or buy of some sort - condition being that they must host the next event (when we do the ugrade - AKA "pimpin'". I just think that all the meetings should use some of the SEAS funds and encourage as many folks to attend as possible.

Anyone in on this?

Since my tank isn't up, #1 would be useful. DH has a little grill that can travel. Fragging might be helpful after I have a tank up. I'd likely not modify anything, if I could help it.

Any of that stuff sounds great! The more I learn and meet people the more interested I get. Saturday I went to every saltwater store in springfield area. (Such a loser) For any of that stuff I would pay a fee.

I'm up for all of it :) I can help with the MJ mods. My measly mj400's are still blowing strong with no huge probs :bum: The propellers (impellers) only cost a buck 50 each, and then you need some test caps, and pvc, and super glue and paint. Unless we meet at someones place with some nice power tools, then we could really crank out some really nice and professional looking ones. My diy mj's.. well... look very diy :D

I'm also in favor of the fish food and bbq with byob style everything, including the real byob (unless this is a dry bbq).

The frag swap/fragging/mounting is a great idea as well. Big groupbuy on some corals to frag among us, and we can bring our own to frag up. And i'd like to see pics of this portable frag tank!

Steve out

PS. I'll 'throw down' into the SEAS treasury. We need to get the prez setup, and other positions, squires, etc, and whathaveyou...

I have tons of tools Shaar.... and space enough in the basement to mod a few...(workbench, etc..) what tools did you have in mind for the mods?

Jason

I'll play. Who is collecting the dues?

Of the ideas mentioned, I am most interested in the group frag buy/swap, but just getting together with other people who want to talk about reef stuff with me would be coooool...........

Back