Possibly found the root cause of all my sps stn

bobssecrtsn

I just recieved my triton test and it came back with some high level Tin, some say pvc but I doubt this is the cause.

Over the past months I would see all my sps perish, first no p.e then rtn from the tips then a white sps.

So I tested my water at triton, and the results came back with

Sn 14 ug/l
Ba 124 ug/l

All other elements seem fine, looks like I'll have to find the root of it.. any input ?

what kind of sealants are you using on fittings plumbing. Some silicones and urethanes use tin catalyst to cure them. Barium could come from fillers in PVC Barium sulfate is white and a lot cheaper than titanium dioxide which is primary white pigment used today. Barium is used to lower cost as a partial substitute

Hello everyone, Sorry for the late response. I found the culprit of high tin.

Im using aquaforest probiotic salt,

the pvc sealant is unknown, I used the piping that came with the tank its the purple and clear stuff, (regular i guess )

But I would have never guess my new QD wet sides were the culprit, There only a few months old! (4-5) I hope i still have warranty for them.

Interesting, a fellow reefer in my area had found his Ecotech powerheads to be the culprit to his tank crashing except his powerheads were much older with the unsealed magnets. He only checked them because Battlecorals advised him to look.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I had the same thing happen when 2 MP10's in my tank had corroded impellers. They'll replace them for you if it's still under warranty... I figured they would've fixed this well-known problem in the new QD wetsides, not cool.

I had the same thing happen when 2 MP10's in my tank had corroded impellers. They'll replace them for you if it's still under warranty... I figured they would've fixed this well-known problem in the new QD wetsides, not cool.

There's no money making something last forever!

Tell that to Eheim.

I hate to admit that there is not much stuff I have faith in anymore. You can spend more money on what should be better products and you still have issues a lot of the time... It's really lame and frustrating.

Wow, that is disappointing. You would think for that price they would not continue to put out a product with a known problem. Especially when it could crash your tank. I have 2 older MP40's, guess I'll have to keep a close eye on them.

Guess I'm not seeing the impeller corrosion in the pic...? How did you open that part of the wetside? Is there some type of grease in there? Is it food grade silicone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess I'm not seeing the impeller corrosion in the pic...? How did you open that part of the wetside? Is there some type of grease in there? Is it food grade silicone?

There tabs on the side of the covers after you remove the snail guards, just pop them out and you should be able to slide out the impeller

Wow that's lame. MP10's or 40's?

Their mp40..

So I contacted them and they're sending me 2 replacements, free of charge. Glad there still good costumer service!

Anyone know if the rock absorbed any of the heavy metals?

How bad is the corrosion?? and you said you've only run these pumps for a few months?

There tabs on the side of the covers after you remove the snail guards, just pop them out and you should be able to slide out the impeller

Their mp40..

So I contacted them and they're sending me 2 replacements, free of charge. Glad there still good costumer service!

Anyone know if the rock absorbed any of the heavy metals?

Wet side split and rust

Wet side split and rust

Same exact thing happened to me last month, i removed them and sent pictures to Ecotech and their amazing tech support replaced both of my wet sides for free. After replacing the wet sides with new ones and a 50% water change, my corals started to look a lot better after a week.

Attachments

• IMG_8212.jpg
    IMG_8212.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8214.jpg
    IMG_8214.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 0

At the same time it's hard to have faith in a product when it messes up people's tanks...

I could understand a company wanting people to replace stuff, but knowing a product can corrode and not doing anything about it on future upgrades is not cool. Rusting impellers isn't news to Ecotech, so my guess is their cost/benefit ratio on fixing it didn't go in our favor if it's cheaper for them to replace the wetsides that corrode in our tanks than give us a redesigned dependable product. They only have to cover it for a year and after that you pay them to replace it. Pretty easy decision if you like money more than happy customers and ethics.

Here's how both of mine looked and what some of you with MP's get to look forward to one day. If you're past warranty like I was then you get to give them even more money for the privilege of having their pump rust in your tank.

XLMnE9y.jpg

2EIyFMp.jpg

Wow that is Bogus. Shame on ecotech if this is to be expected it is unacceptable. Have you guys posted this on their sponsor page? I'd like to see their response to your inquiry to inform consumers of their service handling practices. Even if customer service is stellar, an inferior product at that price point is like I said, Bogus. Please share your interactions and correspondence for the benefit of others.

I like to point fingers at manufacturers, but I'm not sure how much better they could handle this.
From what I've read elsewhere on this page they will replace the magnets for free, even if they are out of warranty by several years.
I do wish they'd use something better for that rod in the center, but other than plastic coating the magnets (which they already do) I'm not really sure what you can do there. I don't know of any salt water resistant materials that are nearly magnetic enough.

Back