Power heads

cdemaria87

I was looking to get a couple more power heads for a tank I am currently working on. I have a Korrila wave maker 2 controller and 2 power heads that go with it but I am unsure what size they are (don't see any markings on them anywhere). I put them in the sink to see if they still work and they do but doesn't feel like they are putting out a ton of water even with the "max" turned all the way up. I will leave them on overnight to see if this improves as they haven't been used for several years. I cleaned them the other day but not sure they are working completely.

I have found several REALLY cheap power heads (one is a dual power head claiming to do 3200 gph, 2 of them for $40). Are these okay? I would prefer not to spend a lot if not needed but don't want something that is going to cause a problem either.

My tank is 4' x 3' x 18". I would like to have corals, not completely what but like mushrooms, zoas... and most of the softies... how much flow should I try to achieve. I am going to try and do something like 700 gph with my return if that makes a difference for this question.

You can always try and clean the powerheads with vinegar (an over night thing) and see if they get any better. All the calcified stuff can really slow them down. Since you dont seem to be wanting SPS, I think the ones you have plus a good return pump flow should be ok.

I am guessing the "cheap" ones are the SunSun brand, don't waste your money.. they are ok for mixing water but will not survive a wavemaker for long..
Hydor makes some 110v that are just a few $ more and designed for use on a wavemaker..(not the one you have, there is a hydor branded one that works on 110v heads)
Pump
https://www.amazon.com/Hydor-Koralia-Evolution-Aquarium-Circulation/dp/B0036RXO3O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491289698&sr=8-1&keywords=hydor
Wavemaker
https://www.amazon.com/Hydor-Smart-Wave-Circulation-Controller/dp/B005TJCU0U/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1491289698&sr=8-4&keywords=hydor
I use both and they have been running for 2 years with no troubles.

You probably have the 900gph 12v powerheads.
If you put them on the sides toward the back half and point them to the front center it should be enough for softies..
Like elweshomayor said you can use the return pump also.

I use 2 Jebao PP8s in my 120g. They have a lot of punch for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use 2 Jebao PP8s in my 120g. They have a lot of punch for the price.

And although Jebao puts out some rather 'shaky' products at introduction (always too cheaply made). They do up their game pretty quickly. The current generation of wave maker pumps from Jebao work really well. Especially if you are looking at other wave makers that are 2, 3 and even 4 times the price of a Jebao. Most of my pumps are from Jebao and most have been in service for several years or more.

I have used the Koralia low voltage, 110v, SunSun and Jebao.
The Jebao are my favorites - I have at least 2 in all my tanks.
That said, the SunSuns are good 'filler' PH, but some have had electrical leakage issues so I don't use them anymore.
The 110v Koralia work well, but I didn't have them on a wave controller.
My low-voltage Koralia work pretty well. I agree with the vinegar cleaning method.
Otherwise, get some Jebao's. I think you'll like them.

I have used the Koralia low voltage, 110v, SunSun and Jebao.
The Jebao are my favorites - I have at least 2 in all my tanks.
That said, the SunSuns are good 'filler' PH, but some have had electrical leakage issues so I don't use them anymore.
The 110v Koralia work well, but I didn't have them on a wave controller.
My low-voltage Koralia work pretty well. I agree with the vinegar cleaning method.
Otherwise, get some Jebao's. I think you'll like them.

Thank you. I put them in vinegar last night. About to pull them out now (hopefully 24 hours isn't too long). I will look at a couple of the Jebaos and the Hydro's. Rather have the ability to have too much flow and turn it down via the controller than not enough.

Back