powerhead help

danp01

hello. I am looking to get a powerhead/wavemaker for a 40gallon cube. the local fish shop has a used older mp40 white controller for sale for $250. is this a good deal? should I look for something else? I see some nice looking pumps on amazon for a lot cheaper but I really like the look of the mp40s. what would you recommend

thanks

First welcome to Reef Central!

Second, I can’t help with the MP40 Question, but I run a Jebao SW8 with no issues. I also have a Neptune Wav and a couple Koralia Nanos and haven’t had any issues with either.

The biggest issue people seem to have is longevity. While the pricier pumps are “in theory” designed to last longer, I think about 10 years or so, you may get a shorter lifespan with the cheaper pumps (that’s when it looks at what your personal cost/replacement frequency is). For example, a Jebao SW8 is $72.50 on Amazon right now. An MP40 brand new on BRS is $430. So I can buy about 6 SW8 pumps for the cost of 1 MP40. Say I get two years out of each SW8, that’s 12 years of use instead of the approximate 10 that the MP40 may get.

This isn’t taking into account though, the MP40 you can get replacement wet sides and dry sides soo that’s a plus (but I don’t know the expense)

If it helps I have a 42 gallon hex tank and use two MP10's. When I first got them they were white also. I have since upgraded to the Quiet Drive pumps. I have also had to change the wet sides and dry sides on both, but have had them for 7 years and got them used. I decided it was better for me to have the two smaller pumps since a single failure will not put the tank in jeopardy. It gives me time to repair or replace the pump before causing any issues. Also I think the max speed I run them is 60 percent.

Is your tank deep? Do you have more than one power head? Not sure if I should have one down low and one higher up
How many usually depends on the size of the tank. Some times one is sufficient. Other times you need multiple at different levels

Back