lighting for 300 gallon reef

WhoDey

Hello,

Looking for lightening recommendations that don’t break the bank. I would like it to ramp up and down to simulate sunrise and sunset. Probably mostly do LPS in a mixed reef. It’s a 300 gallon tank. 72x36x24

Anyone up to speed with LEDs or should I go T5s or combo?

I think I need to up my flow also. Would you add wave makers and powerheads? If so how many?

Thank you for the help!

-Nate

For lighting a lot will depend on budget and what features you want.

For a 36 inch wide tank, I’d probably do two rows of leds if they’re ran parallel or 1 row of LEDs ran perpendicular to the tank with 2-4 T5’s on each side.

As for brand, again depends on budget. You can get knock off XR30’s from AliExpress for about $200ish a piece, I’ve heard decent things about (crappy app though) probably need 4 with T5, or 8 without. Theres also Reefi Uno 2.0 I’ve heard rave reviews on (mid range pricing and probably 3-6 would cover it) Or there’s Noopsyche. Almost any Reef led will work, just quantity and features (number of channels, sunrise/sun set feature, etc) will determine price.

As for flow, I use Jebao wavemakers but again it depends on what you want. Tunze still makes a good product. Vortech if you want wire free on the inside. The number depends on the set up and scape in my opinion.

For lighting a lot will depend on budget and what features you want.

For a 36 inch wide tank, I’d probably do two rows of leds if they’re ran parallel or 1 row of LEDs ran perpendicular to the tank with 2-4 T5’s on each side.

As for brand, again depends on budget. You can get knock off XR30’s from AliExpress for about $200ish a piece, I’ve heard decent things about (crappy app though) probably need 4 with T5, or 8 without. Theres also Reefi Uno 2.0 I’ve heard rave reviews on (mid range pricing and probably 3-6 would cover it) Or there’s Noopsyche. Almost any Reef led will work, just quantity and features (number of channels, sunrise/sun set feature, etc) will determine price.
Thanks for the reply!

I’ve seen people talking about the Reefi Uno 2.0. Are you saying the Pro version or not? It would be great if I could get away with 3 of those. $1500 was what I had in mind for top of budget but if it needs to more to get the job done then I will. I would rather do it right the first time. At 270 watts a piece I would hope that would do it.
Also looked at Noopsyche K7 pro 3. Any idea on how many of those would be good? Those are pretty inexpensive, like $139 a light. I imagine I would need 6? Website does not say anything on coverage which I find odd. $900 sounds better than $1500.

Appreciate the help.

-Nate

Thanks for the reply!

I’ve seen people talking about the Reefi Uno 2.0. Are you saying the Pro version or not? It would be great if I could get away with 3 of those. $1500 was what I had in mind for top of budget but if it needs to more to get the job done then I will. I would rather do it right the first time. At 270 watts a piece I would hope that would do it.
Also looked at Noopsyche K7 pro 3. Any idea on how many of those would be good? Those are pretty inexpensive, like $139 a light. I imagine I would need 6? Website does not say anything on coverage which I find odd. $900 sounds better than $1500.

Appreciate the help.

-Nate
I’m not too sure of the difference between the pro and not. 3 would likely be good but may need a t5 supplement for edge coverage.

As for the K7, I’d do 6. You may be able to get away with 3 with 4 T5s on each side. With 6, I would say no T5s would likely be needed.

Using the chart found here, it appears to have 30x30 coverage roughly - Lighting Suggestion For 2.5 to 510 Gallons Reef Tank

I’m not too sure of the difference between the pro and not. 3 would likely be good but may need a t5 supplement for edge coverage.

As for the K7, I’d do 6. You may be able to get away with 3 with 4 T5s on each side. With 6, I would say no T5s would likely be needed.

Using the chart found here, it appears to have 30x30 coverage roughly - Lighting Suggestion For 2.5 to 510 Gallons Reef Tank
Just kidding there isn’t a non pro 2.0 version, I’m not sure what I was looking at!

Yeah I think it’s either 6 K7s or 3 of the Reefi 2.0 Pros. I’ll see if anyone else can chime in before I pull the trigger.

IMG_8748.jpeg
Here she is pre reef.

IF you are doing a Fish Only system then lighting while necessary does not have to be as good as for corals.
That Trigger would not be a wise choice in a reef tank.

One thing I forgot to mention is the UI on the Noops seems to be the main downside.

I haven’t seen any reviews on the UI for the Unos but I know @telegraham did a nice review on @HumbleFish forum. I didn’t read enough through the thread to find anything about the UI

One thing I forgot to mention is the UI on the Noops seems to be the main downside.

I haven’t seen any reviews on the UI for the Unos but I know @telegraham did a nice review on @HumbleFish forum. I didn’t read enough through the thread to find anything about the UI

Seems some think it is too "old school" looking.
Can't please everyone..

IF you are doing a Fish Only system then lighting while necessary does not have to be as good as for corals.
That Trigger would not be a wise choice in a reef tank.
Ohh I know, he would eat everything. He’s been in my fish only tank for like 9 years. I’ll give him away.

Honestly I’ve done reefs under cheap black box led lights from Amazon and eBay for years! they even have auto dim features now and for the price you really can’t beat ‘em. I have a few that have been running for over 10 years and still work on carpet anemones and sps corals:) they’re not the best lights but they do work. I mainly run kessils on my larger reef they’re pricy but you honestly can’t beat the look of the shimmer and the overall glow of the tank.

Back