Powerhead placement

bmackcw

Just set up my first big-boy tank. Thinking I'd like to put the MP40s on the back, as its black and they would be invisible. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 0
I have mine on the sides of my 90g tank... only because this is how I set up the aquascaping and do not wish to blow over the corals. As long as you get the right flow through the tank, it really doesnt matter where they are as

I have my on the sides of my 90 as well. I like the way it worked in my last tank for nice motion of the corals and i did not get much sand blowing around either.

DONT DO IT. Hah no really. Oh man. I have 2 MP40's in a 120g tank, and space constrictions. So I though I would mount my MP40's in the back, same as you suggested. Oh man. Maybe for an SPS tank ok, but anything soft will whip around like nobodys business. You just cant get the same laminar flow in the back. I had a couple hammers and frogs that closed up immediately, and I gave them a couple days to adjust, but I ended up having to turn them down so low it was absurd to start getting PE again.

With the side placement, I have them dialed up to 60% right now, and with the ASYNC mode, builds up a real nice powerful but short duration pulse that gets things rocking, but with less overall displacement. If that makes sense. Corals are thrilled again.

Also, in your picture, you NEED to support the wire off the dryside above the attachment point. Otherwise, if for whatever reason you knock the wetside off, the dryside will fall to the ground and break. I knocked my wetside off, but because it was secured, it only swung in place.

DONT DO IT. Hah no really. Oh man. I have 2 MP40's in a 120g tank, and space constrictions. So I though I would mount my MP40's in the back, same as you suggested. Oh man. Maybe for an SPS tank ok, but anything soft will whip around like nobodys business. You just cant get the same laminar flow in the back. I had a couple hammers and frogs that closed up immediately, and I gave them a couple days to adjust, but I ended up having to turn them down so low it was absurd to start getting PE again.

With the side placement, I have them dialed up to 60% right now, and with the ASYNC mode, builds up a real nice powerful but short duration pulse that gets things rocking, but with less overall displacement. If that makes sense. Corals are thrilled again.

Also, in your picture, you NEED to support the wire off the dryside above the attachment point. Otherwise, if for whatever reason you knock the wetside off, the dryside will fall to the ground and break. I knocked my wetside off, but because it was secured, it only swung in place.

Thanks for all of this. Got it. Will secure today and keep the side mount

Back