Powerhead setup

Howard S

I have two Hydor 2450 powerheads in my mixed reef 180. One at each end of the tank (6'). Mid-tank pointing back. They alternate sides at 15 minute intervals. (I also have the 4 return heads). The corals are predominantly softies. Is this enough flow? Should I have them on at the same time? Should I opt for longer duration? Should I add another head that is on constantly? TIA.

Solved this issue with a little help from the internet and my LFS. I moved my Hydor heads to the back wall and added a Maxspect Jump MJGf4k. This unit is powerful. Running it manually in pulsing mode, with a minimum of 10% and a max of 30%. Any more than that causes too much turbulence in a 6' tank of softies and anemones. NO noise at all. When I first installed it at 80% there was no noise. Corals already have responded positively, mushrooms expanding and leathers swaying gently.
2 pieces of advice: 1- the magnet, once placed on the glass, is damn near impossible to reposition so make sure it's where you want it.
2- the instructions are diagrams, no explanations of what the icons mean.
So far I give it a thumbs up. Now just a matter of time to see if it's all it's cracked up to be.

Back