Powerheads thinking outside the...tank?

Boochika

This has probably been discussed before and I searched for it but couldn't find it.

I'm looking to make my flow more random and less of the 2 Koralia's aimed at each other switching on and off. I have an 80g tank with an 850gph koralia and a 1500 gph koralia. I was thinking about aiming the 1500gph koralia at the front glass on an angle (approx 45 degrees) instead of directly across the tank as detritus build up and some coral deaths in the past have lead me to believe I need a new powerhead set up (maybe not enough flow).

I'm also looking at getting an ecotech MP40 which I could put on wavecrest mode to generate a more random flow pattern.

The old Tunze pattern is, place the first powerhead at the back panel all the way to the left and aim it at the 3/4 way to the right.
The second powerhead put it on the right back panel and face it 3/4 of the way to the left.
For outside the box get two 1/2 Sea Swirls for the returns.

Thanks for the response. So the clarify, the powerheads won't be located on the side glass at all but on the back panel and angled as much as they can be pretty much toward the center?

How far from the surface of the water should they be placed?

It depends on how powerful the pump is and if you have a bare bottom tank. but I would start at 1/4 of the way down from the top.

It depends on how powerful the pump is and if you have a bare bottom tank. but I would start at 1/4 of the way down from the top.

I have a a couple Koralia's right now, but a new Tunze 6105 on the way that I'm sure could blow much harder.

The old Tunze pattern is, place the first powerhead at the back panel all the way to the left and aim it at the 3/4 way to the right.
The second powerhead put it on the right back panel and face it 3/4 of the way to the left.
For outside the box get two 1/2 Sea Swirls for the returns.
Received my 6105 yesterday and it's a beast. Currently just running it solo to detect any dead zones and go from there. Do you use these pumps?

For an LPS I'm thinking 1 6105 should be plenty for my 80 gallon on wave mode.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back