Preferred fish and inverts for frag tank?

leetdood

hi all,

Setting up a frag tank and obviously i'll be needing some clean up crew.(fish and inverts)

So whats everyone's Preferred fish and inverts for frag a tank?

Can’t say I have any preferred fish for frag tanks as I’d treat it as a normal tank but I know a lot of people look at utilitarian fish (I.e. tangs for algae, filefish or copperbands for Aiptasia, wrasses for flatworms, I think there’s some utilitarian damsels too.

As for cleaning crews, just the typical blue leg hermits and various snails.

All the grazing snails are fine - cerith, astrea, turbo, trochus, etc. Cowries are fine but will stress out unless you have some live rock for them to camp during the day. I have two tuxedo urchins - they do well but unfortunely drag frags around and even the frag racks so I can't recommend them. Small tangs - yellow, tomini maybe scopas depending on tank size. Some people do foxface but I say they're too risky for coral nipping.

What size system are you planning?

Springeri damsel because they eat pest like crazy especially flatworms and are peaceful..

I like to put in a algae eater too. I like pygmy cherub angelfish. They can be had cheap and seem to be the less likely to pick on corals. There are others to some people like. Tangs get to big for most home frag tanks.

A mix of snails.

I do not like eggcrate for frag racks and usually use some acrylic with holes in it with legs. This allows snails to crawl on it and frag plugs to eat algae. They have a hard time with egg crate.

This what my racks look like that I made.:

1700659222252.png

Springeri damsel because they eat pest like crazy especially flatworms and are peaceful..

I like to put in a algae eater too. I like pygmy cherub angelfish. They can be had cheap and seem to be the less likely to pick on corals. There are others to some people like. Tangs get to big for most home frag tanks.

A mix of snails.

I do not like eggcrate for frag racks and usually use some acrylic with holes in it with legs. This allows snails to crawl on it and frag plugs to eat algae. They have a hard time with egg crate.

This what my racks look like that I made.:

View attachment 32392982
David, how thick is the acrylic and how did you drill the holes without breaking it?

Last edited:
In a frag tank, which is specifically designed for coral propagation, choosing fish and invertebrates that are compatible with the delicate nature of coral growth is essential. Here are some preferred options for a successful frag tank:
Preferred Fish:
  1. Clownfish: Clownfish are a popular choice for frag tanks due to their relatively small size and peaceful demeanor. They won't disturb corals, and their presence adds a lively dynamic to the tank.
  2. Goby Species: Many goby species, such as the watchman goby or clown goby, are suitable for frag tanks. They are small, peaceful, and often form symbiotic relationships with pistol shrimp, creating an interesting and beneficial dynamic.
  3. Royal Gramma Basslet: Known for their vibrant colors and peaceful nature, royal gramma basslets are a great addition. They typically stay close to rock formations, making them less likely to interfere with coral placements.
  4. Firefish : Firefish are slender and peaceful, making them suitable for frag tanks. They add a vertical dimension to the tank as they hover around rock structures.
Preferred Invertebrates:
  1. Cleaner Shrimp: Cleaner shrimp, such as the Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, not only add visual interest but also serve a functional role by helping to control parasites on fish and corals.
  2. Hermit Crabs: Hermit crabs can be useful in a frag tank to help control algae and detritus. However, it's crucial to provide ample empty shells for them to move into as they grow.
  3. Snails: Various snail species, like Nassarius and Cerith snails, contribute to algae control and detritus removal. They are generally small and won't disturb corals.
  4. Sea Cucumbers: Some reef-safe sea cucumber species can aid in sand bed maintenance by processing detritus. It's essential to research and choose species carefully to avoid any potential issues.
Remember, when selecting fish and invertebrates for a frag tank, compatibility with coral growth is key. Avoid aggressive or large species that may damage or disturb the corals. Additionally, maintaining stable water parameters and providing appropriate hiding places for the inhabitants will contribute to a thriving and harmonious frag tank ecosystem.
Very bot-like. :unsure:

That bot needs to up it's game. Here's ChatGPT 4's response to the question

Preferred fish and inverts for frag a tank?

When stocking a frag tank, which is primarily used for growing and displaying coral fragments (frags), it's important to choose fish and invertebrates that are reef-safe and won't harm the corals. Here are some commonly preferred options:

### Fish:
1. **Clownfish**: Peaceful and colorful, they are well-known for their symbiotic relationship with certain types of anemones.
2. **Chromis**: A peaceful schooling fish that adds dynamic movement to the tank.
3. **Blennies**: Known for their algae-eating habits, helping to keep the tank clean.
4. **Gobies**: Small and peaceful, they are known for their interesting behaviors and bottom-dwelling habits.
5. **Wrasses**: Certain species like the Six Line or Fairy Wrasses are popular for their vibrant colors and pest control abilities.

### Invertebrates:
1. **Shrimps** (like Cleaner Shrimp or Peppermint Shrimp): Beneficial for cleaning the tank and fish.
2. **Snails** (like Turbo or Nassarius Snails): Great for algae control and general cleanup.
3. **Hermit Crabs**: Useful for scavenging and algae-eating, but ensure they have enough shells to prevent them from attacking snails for their shells.
4. **Starfish** (like the Brittle Star): Some are great scavengers and add to the biodiversity of the tank.
5. **Sea Urchins**: Efficient algae eaters, but some types can be harmful to corals if not carefully selected.

It's crucial to research each species thoroughly to ensure they are compatible with your specific tank setup, coral types, and other inhabitants. Compatibility, size, temperament, and diet are key factors to consider. Regular maintenance and monitoring are also important to maintain a healthy and thriving frag tank environment.

I personally would go with utility with snails, rabbits/foxfaces, pest eating wrasses.

I'd stay away from anything that could disturb the corals like some gobies and clowns resting on them. Urchins picking them up and moving. Shrimps picking food from them.

David, how thick is the acrylic and how did you drill the holes without breaking it?

I honestly do not remember. It was a while ago.

I can look to see on the acrylic. I would bet 3/16" or 1/4"
I did put wood behind it and clamped it down.

I would bet I used a drill bit for plastics. I believe the tips are a different angle vs wood/metal bits.

I honestly do not remember. It was a while ago.

I can look to see on the acrylic. I would bet 3/16" or 1/4"
I did put wood behind it and clamped it down.

I would bet I used a drill bit for plastics. I believe the tips are a different angle vs wood/metal bits.
Thanks, I've tried drilling acrylic in the distant past using regular drill bits and broke the heck out of it :ROFLMAO:

Back in the day, when I made some acrylic sumps, I would back up where the bit went in with 1x4 and clamps. Then use this kind of bit.

Thanks, I've tried drilling acrylic in the distant past using regular drill bits and broke the heck out of it :ROFLMAO:
A company I worked at years ago as a pressman had to install safety shielding on all the machines. The guys that were installing the plexi said the trick was to use dull tools for any cutting or drilling.

Back