Prop tank what type of lights for zoos

care to elaborate a little more on the water-quality issue?

I'm not trying to take the thread off-track ;)

In my personal experience, I had a 6-gallon nanocube with only carbon filtration (changed mid-month) and 50% water changes monthly; only light was an 18-watt PC - over 6-months I had blue palys that lost all their blue color (from halides) but tripled in number. - pictures at the link to my little red house :)

I now have the same palys in my current system (400W radium, 2X 95W URI VHO actinics) and they are blue as ever, but not adding a single polyp.

Al - Is it possible that the water is too clean? Too much flow (I've got about 20X turnover, but it's pulsing and rotating, so in comparison to other systems I'd say it's similar to a static 40X turnover rate, while the 6-gallon only had 106gph)

sadly, its not that cut and dry on the subject. theres a couple of other threads that are currently discussing these exact topics, so prob best not to hijack this thread.

but when you say the water could be too clean?? if you mean, by adding chemical filtration such as carbon and other things, i will have to asbsolutely agree with you. which is why you are seeing alot of people on here going with zoa only tanks with no skimmers or chemical/mechanical filtration. and only water changes......i cant comment myself on skimmers, cuz i've never had one, but cant imagine doing only water changes on a large tank.

zoas dont fair well in nutrient poor water such as mostly SPS systems. which leads us to beleive they benefit from more nutrients in the water, as long as they aren't excessive.

Thank you fellow lab rat :lol: I'll check out the other threads and follow along - I've done the SPS thing, kinda boring - now I'm jonesing for some toxic color :thumbsup:

I guess I'll add - under the 18W pc in the nano cube, my orange skirts "thinned" a little and did not cover the rock as full as under more watts of PCs in my other tank - they're coming back now under the 400W halide

My Red zooanthids are really enjoying the light, and spreading out quite quickly.

HTH-

Al, Were can I find this light. I think I will look into getting the 50 or 65 you have a great point. If you like you can email me at ssimpell@aol.com I really appreciate your help and I will take care of you on some free frags when it gets going.

Back