Propagating mushrooms....

ChunksInClemson

Which element is going to be most important for the healing of mushrooms that I've propagated? I know Iodine is an important one but is it the most important? Obviously, I want the mushrooms to heal quickly so please help me out.

Thanks,
Chris

Absolutely no chemicals are needed. Not even Iodine. When I first started propagating I would add Iodine to some water and let the shrooms 'marinate' in it for a few minutes before adding them back to the tank. Well, one day I didn't have any so I just added them right back. The shrooms recovered faster and grew fast without the iodine than they ever did with it. I tested it on a few more corals and got the same results. Several of these tests were side by side comparisons.

So basically the whole Iodine thing is a big load of bologna in my opinion. I have since fragged hundreds... prolly thousands of mushrooms and rarely ever loose any and have never (knock on wood) had any with infections or otherwise.

Basically if you have good water quality (Ca, Alk, Mg, salinity, ph) You should be able to frag away. Stay away from essential elements and all that other bull crap. It's useless money grubbing junk!

I've fragged many mushrooms. I don't bother adding anything to the water either. I haven't lost one yet.

How do you frag Mushrooms? Ive got 2 that are getting WAY too big.......easily 6-7 inches across and what like to cut them down..........

i just pull the rock out and cut base of shroom with a blade, then use some glue or tie it to a rock and set in low flow, mushrooms atach pretty quick.

I usually cut the shroom off at the base. Try to get the whole mushroom, cut it as close to the rock as possible. Then I usually take the piece out of the tank and cut it into 4 pieces like a pizza. I try to get a piece of the mouth on each piece.

Then I take the 4 pieces and put them on a bed of crushed coral that is in a cup in the tank. Put them in low flow and they will attach to the crushed coral. After a week or so, I glue the pieces of crushed coral that they are attached to to the rocks that I want them on.

I've found that using super glue on soft corals doesn't work well. They just slime over and unattach themselves. I've done this like 3 or 15 times probably and works well for me.

There is a video somewhere on the net that shows how to do it. I can't remember the size though. Someone here may remember it.

yes, reefvideos it is! The one in the second column in the 5th row is the one I was thinking of.

I'd never cut anything off a rock in my tank. Some things secrete nasty goo for lack of atechnical term. I do rinse them with salt water before returning to tank but, I don't add anything special.
If you frag many of anything, I think it is wise to change carbon in a day or two.

I try to frag out of the tank, but sometimes it is just impossible. Running carbon is always a good idea after doing some fragging. Definately want to get out the nasties.

I have fragged/glued a couple things......but I never do it in the tank. Whenver I have to do things like that, I tank a big salad bowl, fill it with tank water and do everything in there.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11632259#post11632259 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ChunksInClemson
Thanks guys...my mushrooms have almost already fully recovered in about 5 days. You really cant kill those things!

hey you gave me courage. I've never fragged, but been wanting to frag for months now... mushrooms that is. I'll try it this weekend

I just tried fragging my mushrooms about 30 minutes ago.....what a PITA. Not sure what type they are, but my mushrooms' foot is pretty much the whole mushroom and very short......I didnt have too much room to work around. However, they arent looking as bad as I thought......Ill repost in a couple days, if anyone wants?

I would do zoas out of the tank for sure. Just cut the mat around however many polyps you want, then peel the mat off the rock. Dry the bottom of the mat and the rock you're attaching them to. Super glue them down and wait like 30 seconds and rinse them off in a bowl of saltwater. Then throw them back in the tank.

Make sure you use gloves and goggles with zoas, they can be very toxic.

Mushrooms are very hard to kill. I've taken frags half the size of a dime and they survived.

I would do zoas out of the tank for sure. Just cut the mat around however many polyps you want, then peel the mat off the rock. Dry the bottom of the mat and the rock you're attaching them to. Super glue them down and wait like 30 seconds and rinse them off in a bowl of saltwater. Then throw them back in the tank.
Thanks for the info NIRVANAFAN!

Yeah, if they are really connected good to the rock, I just cut it in half when they are attached and they recover fine! Don't be scared, mm mmmm dont be scared!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11632832#post11632832 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by plaereef
Have anyone tried fragging zoos.

be careful when fraggin zoas make sure u wear gloves... they are extememly toxic once cut ...just in case u didnt know

Back