PSA: Beware using gutterguard

Ted_C

Hi All.

I just purchased some gutter guard from lowes. It appears to have been manufactured or sprayed with some sort of fragrance. If you happen to notice a fragrance on your gutterguard - try rinsing / soaking it in some alcohol to remove it before using it in your tank. Whatever this fragrance is - I dont suspect it will be healthy for your reef tank.

I've never had this issue with the gutterguard I bought from Ace.

HTH.

What do you use gutter guard for?

All kinds of good uses for Gutterguard

Overflows - keeps your critters where you want them.
IMG_1090.jpg

Pod Hotels - zip tie some gutter guard into a cylinder - zip tie some more gutter guard on the bottom of the cylinder to form a container - fill it with rock rubble and you've got a nifty little home for pods to live. transfer them back and forth from a refugium to your display tank
e38e2c6ac4e3b9872423a61a656058f5.jpg

Be aware it could have been accodentally exposed to some chemical/paint/pesticide etc. if something spilled/ exploded/ruptured etc in a shipment on a truck during transport or just even loading/unloading in that store via forklift drivers, it may have come in contact with a nasty or not so nasty foreign element.

yea - the stuff I have smells like laundry detergent. However, its not soluble in water. I let it soak in water for a day and still stunk. Vodka did the trick though (I just hate pouring ketel one down the drain though).

yea - the stuff I have smells like laundry detergent. However, its not soluble in water. I let it soak in water for a day and still stunk. Vodka did the trick though (I just hate pouring ketel one down the drain though).

Buy some Skol for the tank! LOL!!

I was thinking some rubbing alcohol from publix would probably be fine - forgot to pick it up though.

rubbing alcohol didn't work. Also - I did not know this - Rubbing Alcohol and acrylics do not work well together.

I put the gutter guard into a spare skimmate locker I had laying around (it was the perfect size to fit the gutter guard). added two bottles of rubbing alcohol. Came back after 15 minutes and the acrylic had gone all cloudy, cracked wide open.

Ted if you want some clean gutter guard I can give you a few feet. Had it around 10 years at least. Never used.

Back