Pulverized limestone VS pulverized dolomitic limestone

ralph82396

Hi everyone,

I have used Pulverized limestone as a substrate in the past but now I can only find 'pulverized dolomitic limestone" is it the same thing?

I always used dolomite for substrate in African cichlid tanks, so I can at least tell you it's aquarium safe.

I didn't know so I looked, The difference is in the word dolomitic.

Lime is crushed limestone. Dolomitic lime is crushed Dolomite which is a sedimentary rock.

Calcitic lime is derived from deposits of primarily calcium carbonate. Dolomitic lime is derived from deposits of calcium carbonate combined with magnesium carbonate and contains much higher levels of magnesium.

• Dolomitic limestone contains about 11% magnesium and 21% calcium.
  • Calcitic limestone contains about 40% calcium and 0.2% magnesium.

Ferrous iron commonly substitutes for some of the magnesium in dolomite, and a complete series very likely extends between dolomite and ankerite [∼CaFe(CO3)2]. Manganese also substitutes for magnesium, but typically only to the extent of a few percent and in most cases only along with iron. Other cations known to substitute—albeit in only relatively minor amounts—within the dolomite structure are barium and lead for calcium and zinc and cobalt for magnesium.

I do not think I would use dolomitic limestone. It is going to drag a lot of things into the tank in unknown quantities.

ok so i bought a bad yesterday to try it out it is a no go.... I rinsed and every grain of sand left the bucket lol it was too fine like flour
Never had it like that. It was white gravel actually for aquariums if I recall and rinsed clean very fast. It was 30yrs ago lol. kept the PH high and added other minerals that made Cichlids colour up beautiful. It seems from what @wvned said, it might not be the best choice for salt water anyway.

It is a dust used in farming for soils to raise pH and add magnesium
The dust works faster

It is a dust used in farming for soils to raise pH and add magnesium
The dust works faster
I grew up on a farm, we used to spread pulverized limestone on our pastures but I don't remember it being that dusty, I remember legit grains of sand coming out of the spreader. I mean at two dollars a bag it was worth a shot, now I know that substrate doesn't work.

I'm open to other suggestions, Im trying to avoid aragonite because I have to get 300lbs of substrate for this tank and at almost $2 a pound thats gonna be rough.

I THINK I put 2 or 3 40 pounds bags of crushed coral in the 240. 80 -120 pounds
BRS calculator says 153 pounds for a 225 (26x71) 2 inches deep with crushed coral.

why so much, 300lbs?

$25 for 40 pounds and 4 bags should do. If you are balking at the substrate wait till you buy lights.

I THINK I put 2 or 3 40 pounds bags of crushed coral in the 240. 80 -120 pounds
BRS calculator says 153 pounds for a 225 (26x71) 2 inches deep with crushed coral.

why so much, 300lbs?

$25 for 40 pounds and 4 bags should do. If you are balking at the substrate wait till you buy lights.
I like burrowing fish and have a massive LTA that will give me a 6 inch sand bed in the 230

I like burrowing fish and have a massive LTA that will give me a 6 inch sand bed in the 230
I have the tank all set up and ready, lights and all, I have the water waiting in my water tanks on the boat that i collected 10 miles of shore just ready to get pumped, I have all my live rock from my smaller tank that will be added to this tank

Back