pump too small????

rnhrtfan

OK I set up the 90 and ran it with fresh water with a mag 7 return pump.....the overflow is surging....it will drain about two to three inches out of the overflow then it takes a little bit to fill back up all the way then dumps again???? is the pump too small to keep up with the drain?????

I doubt that is the problem. I think you have some issues with the drain. Does drain line go uphill at any point? Als you may need to add a little more water to your sump, it may be low. I do not think you can actually have too small of a pump for a drain but you can definitely have too big of a pump for a drain.

thanks phil I will make sure that there are no uphill slopes and make any needed adjustments tomorrow and let you know.....

Sounds like it is "flushing" so what Phil is saying should fix it, look for any uphill runs or restrictions.

Your pump should work with that, it is rated over 600 gph and a single overflow on the AGAs require over or around 600 for return. Either Phil is right or something may be up internally with the pump. I brought a new one home a few months back, plugged it in and it did not work. Took it apart and there was something obstructing the impeller, works fine now.

Back