Pumps

shawk

Im looking to replace my noisy pump.. I need a pressure rated pump at 1000gph or a little more. any suggestions? need it to be as quiet as possible and external.

thanks

never heard one before i just wanted to clarify what i was looking for....make sure you knew quiet was my top priority

The Velocity T4 is SILENT, but sheds its heat to the water. Nothing runs quieter, but it comes at a cost. I gave mine up due to heat. I just bought a Panworld, which supposedly runs quieter than Iwaki, but I have not installed it yet. Check them out online.

Premium Aquatics thinks that Panworld is better than Iwaki - I had a silent Iwaki (relatively) and a loud one. Really depends on the model.

I had a Red Dragon on my protein skimmer. Dead silent. I mean DEAD silent - the bubbles popping were louder than the pump, no kidding. Its the best pump made in the hobby, period - but its priced accordingly. I am going to be using one on my new tank, either a 4.5 or a 6.5 but I have to wait to see how much water the overflow can handle. I know 2 people that have used larger models - moonpod and kris4647, they are both friendly and can tell you how they work for circulation. Customer service is excellent and if one goes bad, they will replace it pronto. Moonpod has been using them the longest and can give you the pros/cons. In a nutshell - pros - dead silent, super low watt, very low heat transfer, small for how much water they move, can be used internal or external ... cons - not pressurized, expensive.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=804861&highlight=red+dragon

shawk, got your PM and responded - also remembered that "skippyreef" is using a 6.5 as well, if you want to ask him anything. I had a Eheim 1262 with a slight hum, I put it on a mousepad and it was pretty low noise. Not like a RD, but still low.

As to the Velocity T4, I have a theory, and trust me it is only a theory. The heat problem has not really been an issue for me. The issue has been pump failure. Unlike other pumps, the Velocity's seem prone to calcium build up on the impeller and the cup that is on the inside (don't know what to call it). Anyhow, not knowing of this problem, the pumps stopped functioning. Upon disassembly I found the calcium that needed to be chipped off with a knife. And even when it was off, the motor had seized. Here comes the theory. As this obviously took time to develop, perhaps the added friction causes the motor to generate more heat as it strains to turn the impeller. This pump is truly the quietest I have run, but the failure rate makes them totally unacceptable to me. I am running a Sequence Dart which seems pretty quiet, and in the past I ran an Amp 3000 with the rubber pad that snapped into place and was extremely quiet at that point. I am running a Gen-X Mak 4, mostly due to cost considerations and in your case I would avoid it as the fan is very noisy.

right now im leaning towards the RD since the opinion is that they are the quietest. I will let you know what I go with and how it is for sound.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7059719#post7059719 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by phlipper84
As to the Velocity T4, I have a theory, and trust me it is only a theory. The heat problem has not really been an issue for me. The issue has been pump failure. Unlike other pumps, the Velocity's seem prone to calcium build up on the impeller and the cup that is on the inside (don't know what to call it). Anyhow, not knowing of this problem, the pumps stopped functioning. Upon disassembly I found the calcium that needed to be chipped off with a knife. And even when it was off, the motor had seized. Here comes the theory. As this obviously took time to develop, perhaps the added friction causes the motor to generate more heat as it strains to turn the impeller. This pump is truly the quietest I have run, but the failure rate makes them totally unacceptable to me.

I think you have got the cause and effect backwards. The velocity pumps run VERY hot compared to all other extenal pumps. The heat generated by the pump actually causes the calcium buildup, much like it occurs on a heater. there are other factors at work here as well such as dripping kalk, high pH, locally high calcium and alk concentrations (dosing 2 part in a sump) etc.

PS: I dont bash them cause I dont carry them, I bash them because I firmly believe they have no place on a reef aquarium in the state of Arizona. I have personally replaced a Velocity T4 with a Little Giant 4md and had a literal 10Ã"šÃ‚° drop in temp in a customers tank. We have enough heat issues as it is, why aggravate them with this pump?

I have 1 little Giant 3mdq that runs hoter than all my other pumps. I have no problems with over heated water. Plus I have a fan that blows room temp air across my pumps.

Back